Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Perma timber vs Ekodeck

baza
Growing in Experience

Perma timber vs Ekodeck

Just wondering if anyone has used Perma timber and are there any reviews around vs Eko deck? Any advice would be great.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Perma timber vs Eko deck

Good question @baza, I'm sure plenty of community members will be interested in this topic. Is this for your proposed "ground-level deck"?

Let me tag a few members who I believe have used composite boards in projects:

@Adam_W@Trying@Henno@Brad@gbaker1512@Darbysgirl@Hacko@JoshRaf

You might also be interested in these previous discussions on the site:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
baza
Growing in Experience

Cheers Jason,

Yes I have been asking the guys at work and I’m getting mixed responses in regards to both products. I thought there would be a few people on here who would’ve been down this track before.
JoshRaf
Building a Reputation

Hi @baza, I've used Ekodeck before but not perma timber. After doing a bit of research I think they are pretty much the same thing but Ekodeck might be a little cheaper (although there's no pricing on the permatimber website which is annoying!). I only used Ekodeck becaue it was just easier for me to pick it up from my local Bunnings rather than trying to find a Statco or Bowens or ordering it online

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hey @baza,
Good question!
I've used the Eko products & ModWood but not Perma. In-fact hadn't heard of it until your post.

It sounds very similar to the others so may just come down to pricing, size, availability & colour.
Can they send you a sample? (I know Eko will) This would allow you to do some simple tests yourself - ease of drilling & screwing, ease of cutting & quality of cut, abrasion resistance - are a few that spring to mind.
Cheers

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I've used Permatimber batten cladding @baza, not decking. Good product and good people to deal with over here in Perth. I'll be using the cladding on my new house too.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Henno
Having an Impact

Jason,

I ended up not being able to use this type of decking due to bushfire requirements, so even though I investigated it, my experience with it is very limited. I had to end up using some Aussie hardwood which is now aging just fine and not even looking like splintering.

Thanks for including me in the conversation though.

BneDeZina
Just Starting Out

WARNING Perma Timbers agreed to replace an entire deck under their Warranty scheme which began splitting longitudinally.. They refused to pay for removal and disposal of their faulty product, or pay for a contractor to install the replacement. They under supplied the solid heavy duty boards, fixings and screws in 2 shipments over a period of 9 weeks, then accused me of gouging them for materials -despite their errors. Their rep never once measured the site and guestimated everything. I incurred an additional 15K in labour costs for using this product. Contact me if you want pictures of this costly saga.

Thanks for your post @BneDeZina.

I’m sorry to read of your experience but thank you for joining in the discussion. Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and invite you to post anytime you need assistance with a project around the house or garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
homedad
Just Starting Out

Re: Perma timber vs Ekodeck

Yeh... I've tried Perma Timber before during the time when Masters was still around. (i think it used to be called Permatech). Anyways... tried the Permatimber 295 with their composite bearers + fasteners... for our pool deck. It was a challenge for me as I was building the deck alone. Each board was heavy (146 x 22 x 5400).... the bearers were also heavy. permatimber.jpg

After a couple of years... the colour started fading. I had no issues of it bowing. The one thing my kids always complain about is how hot it can get to step on on a hot sunny day. 

mmmm... not much of a review. OH.... one more thing.... its really pricey.

cheers

Anthony G

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects