Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paving suggestion

ehsantl
Growing in Experience

Paving suggestion

Hi folks,

I'm planning to pave my backyard with bluestone. As you can see from the picture below, it doesn't look good at the moment. The ground is not level (I think because my house a bit higher that neighbours house) Just wondering what is the best way to tackle this? just topping up the sand and compact it and make it level is enough? or should I use mortar (1+5) for each paver? planning to put a BBQ there

Cheers

IMG_3772.jpg

Sporky
Building a Reputation

Re: Paving suggestion

Hey @ehsantl

I've done stone, concrete, pebble and brick paving in the past. The two things you need to worry about is the base and the draining.

As you are planning on having it as an entertainment area, remember to slope AWAY from your house with a 3cm drop from one side to the other.

Rather than repeating folks on the net, check out https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/paths-and-landscaping/how-to-prepare-and-lay for information on preparing your base. Check out http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a685/how-to- for information on drainage and base types (you might decide sand is best, perhaps gravel is better in your area!)

Check out the gents at http://www.premierpavers.com.au/about-us/faq.aspx

They have a huge amount of information about bases and how to lay pavers

I hope I've been helpful... I'd still check with someone else though. .
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

What's the dimensions of this space @ehsantl? And what size pavers are you planning to use?

ehsantl
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the replies.

The area is around 6m x 2m and I'm planning to use 400mm x 400mm blocks.

The problem with current blocks is that first weeds growing all the time from between the pavers and also sand is coming out of the joints, even with the simple hosing down the blocks I can see sands everywhere. Not sure if that is how it meant to be with using sand or it is the installation fault.

Thought adding mortar under each block would fix these problems.

Cheers
Sporky
Building a Reputation

The problem with sand is that it can shift if not compacted enough or if the ground naturally moves, which sounds like what's happening to me... if weeds are growing you may not have the correct type of ground covering....

If in doubt, you could always ask a trade to come give you a quote for it. He should be able to explain the problem and what he'd do to fix it. But maybe offer him a beer if your not planning on actually hiring him. He'll appreciate it, as he has used his time :smile:
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

For the best result you'd want to have a concrete base at least 75mm thick, then lay the pavers using mortar and finally add grout between them. Although it's a small area you'd also want to consider drainage.  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@darylhewston might also be able to assist here as he completed a significant backyard makeover. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Bluestone is a great choice. It will look fantastic and work well with your timber deck and fence colour. 

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for the vote of confidence @Jason.  Sorry have been away.

@ehsantl  Unfortunately, the photo doesn't really show much.  You say that your ground level is higher than your neighbour.  Does this mean that this area is retained in any way?  If not, this could affect ground movement.

A good sand base is required with plenty of compaction.  If you are worried about weeds and sand, then you could use a cement based grout once the stone has been laid.

As @Sporky has suggested, ensure the fall is away from the house.  Rule of thumb is about 30-35mm of fall per metre, not per total width.

Cheers

Daryl

Welcome back @darylhewston. Been anywhere good? Are you back on the tools now?

Thanks for your input in this discussion. I'm sure @ehsantl appreciates it. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects