Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paving.... Will Besser block caps be durable enough to use as pavers?? I want to pave this area

Cassie
Getting Established

Paving.... Will Besser block caps be durable enough to use as pavers?? I want to pave this area

My retaining wall...My retaining wall...

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Paving.... Will Besser block caps be durable enough to use as pavers?? I want to pave this area

If they are the 40mm ones they are a close match to lightweight pavers. Not thick enough to drive a car over though and they colour is nothing to write home about either.
Cassie
Getting Established

Re: Paving.... Will Besser block caps be durable enough to use as pavers?? I want to pave this area

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your reply.  I like the concrete look so I am not worried about the colour.  So I am guessing they wouldn't be strong enough to put sn outdoor spa on?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have most of the yard done in 40mm pavers except for the rear driveway where thicker pavers were used.

So a calculation you can use is spa weight + weight of water ( volume x 1kg/l ) + weight of people. Some manufacturers will give a installed weight, from memory it was recommended for the thin pavers to stay under 1000kg to avoid cracking and the average car weight is 1500kg.

An alternative is if you know the spa size to put down a concrete pad and pave around it.
Allan72
Having an Impact

Hi @Cassie. I think that @Brad suggestion to put a (reinforced) concrete pad down and pave around it is a good idea. It would be a fairly easy job to do and you can work to the thickness you need. You will never have to wonder or worry about a significant load on pavers or besser brick caps that aren’t designed for that load. Good luck. @Allan72

Cassie
Getting Established

Thanks Brad, they sell a platform at the Spa place that I could prepare the ground in the same way as for the pavers then the spa platform in the spot I want it and pave around it.  Thank you.  Vey helpful advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects