Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Patio (Freestanding) - can it be done by a DIY'r

Seddonville
Finding My Feet

Patio (Freestanding) - can it be done by a DIY'r

Ok so I have had 3 quotes thus far and all are beyond our budget, some options include ordering Stratco materials (also not terribly cheap) and DIY or ordering custom timber materials and DIY. We have an older weatherboard (c 1890) which we have recently added an extension too and it would be nice to continue the aesthetics from the Edwardian era using timber. Seeking to do a gable style roof (colourbond), 2.4m ascending to approx. 3.0m with a 22.5 degree fall. I would like to think with enough Youtube videos, asking around etc that I could do this myself but I am reluctant to take the plunge until I have investigated this more thoroughly. There is an old structure in place which we seek to knock down and a concrete slab will remain. It would be great to receive advice or tips; things we should be wary of, places to go for technical advice.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Patio (Freestanding) - can it be done by a DIY'r

@Seddonville

It's great to have you as part of the community. Welcome to Workshop. I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects. 

We did something similar to what you are planning at our house as part of a major renovation. We had an existing concrete slab at the back our our house that we needed to work with as removing it would have added considerable expense. We put a deck over it but it affected the levels in the house - we had to find a logical place for a step somewhere. It's never easy working with existing structures! We needed an architect and a professional builder in our case, but hopefully you can get the assistance you need and avoid that expense. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Yonnee
Having an Impact

It's certainly something that can be done by a competent DIY'er, and not only will it save you money, the satisfaction of having done it yourself will be worth even more.

When you say "ordering custom timber materials", what do you mean? Most timber for a job such as this would be ordered in specific sizes (140 x 45, 190 x 45, 90 x 90, etc.) to span a particular job (posts, rafters, end beams, etc.), then ordered by enough length for you to cut to size for the job. Do a google search for "Timber Span sizes for Pergolas" and you'll find a heap of helpful technical info.

A couple of other things to consider. Check with local council about whether a building permit would be required. If the existing structure already had a permit, you may be able to "repair/rebuild" the old one without having to obtain a permit for a new build. Secondly, a freestanding structure will require more bracing support than one attached to a dwelling, and therefore careful design planning will be required. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for the advice @Yonnee. I'm sure @Seddonville and other readers will really appreciate it.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We look forward to reading more about your projects and hope you can share your expertise and experience with the community again soon.

Jason 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Seddonville,

Just checking in to see how you are going with your patio project. Have you made any progress?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects