Workshop
Ask a question

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

I was recently researching vertical and herb garden ideas. For myself there are two things that make or break my decision to undergo a project. 

1. Is it easy and achievable?

2. Is it low cost?

In my findings I stumbled across a pallet vertical garden, which really intrigued me. It was different, looked easy enough to complete and didn't use many materials at all.

This then got me thinking about what else pallets could be used for around the home. To my surprise there are a lot of great ideas that people find for timber pallets. I have been able to find many nifty ideas using pallets which seem like easy, low budget alternatives for all sorts of things. Here are just a few of my favourites.

pallet-vertical-garden.jpgpallet-shoe-rack.jpgpallet-storage.jpgpallet-door.jpgpallet-outdoor-lighting.jpgpallet-fire-pit.jpg

pallet-shelf.jpgpallet-garden-shelf-2.jpg

Would be really interested to know if anyone else has been inspired and used pallets for any DIY projects? Will definitely be trying some of these myself. 

lee1
Just Starting Out

Re: Pallet DIY Projects

my hubby and i built a fence around my on site van. and it will be vertical gardens

lee

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's great @lee1, it would be great to see what you have done if you could share a photo or two.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. I trust you will receive plenty of inspiration and helpful advice for your projects from our community members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @brettmorris,

I see you posted a blank message. Please let me know if you need assistance using the site. I'm always happy to help. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. We have a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable members who are happy to share their experience and advice. Please post whenever you need a hand. 

Jason

how do you make a mirror frame

Hi @raysmiller,

Thanks for your post. 

@LePallet replied to your previous post here with some basic advice and photos for you - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/Pallet-mirror-included-shelf/cns-p/13784 

I'm sure @LePallet and other Workshop members such as @Yorky88 (who made this rustic mirror) would be happy to assist you if you would like to provide more information about what you are struggling with. Do you have your tools and materials on hand or do you need some help with getting started?

Jason 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just a reminder that there are many fantastic pallet wood creations shared by our talented community members on the Workshop Gallery.

Here's a selection of some of the most popular pallet projects:

I trust these will provide lots of inspiration for your own projects. Please share what you have made. 

Jason

Hey guys hope everyone is well. I see there is some awesome ideas and discussions going on here. It’s so good to see and hear what what everyone is doing. I too am love working with pallets and other recycled materials I recently posted in another discussion and Jason asked me if I would share my advice in this discussion too.

Here are a few things I have found in my experience when working with pallets in particular. It really does pay to be picky when picking up pallets. Most of you probably already know this no doubt but just in case there are people reading this that are new to working with pallets here. Key things to look out for when picking pallets are. Does the pallet sit flat? If not good chance every slat is twisted including the barers when you pull it apart. Are there cracks all through the timber? A big thing to check for are bowed slats. Quite often I’ll go to pick up a long pallet and see that the majority of the slats are bowed so I leave it as it’s a waste of time unless you have a particular job that can benefit from bowed timber. I tend to stay from Euro pallets or any other pallets that don’t have solid barers just because they are so much harder to pull apart and a higher likelihood of breakage when dismantling therefore a lot of wastage.

If if anyone else has any helpful tips when it comes to pallets I’d love to hear them. 😊
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

They are great tips, many thanks for sharing @Yorky88. It would be great to read tips from other members, too.

And the community should also check out some more pallet wood creations shared this week by @Jamespeter100:

Jason

lockers
Cultivating a Following

Kaylah, in Canberra we have a lot of companies, mainly chemist warehouse who advertises free to pick up pallets.  Check out gumtree there are usually some on that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects