Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

I was recently researching vertical and herb garden ideas. For myself there are two things that make or break my decision to undergo a project. 

1. Is it easy and achievable?

2. Is it low cost?

In my findings I stumbled across a pallet vertical garden, which really intrigued me. It was different, looked easy enough to complete and didn't use many materials at all.

This then got me thinking about what else pallets could be used for around the home. To my surprise there are a lot of great ideas that people find for timber pallets. I have been able to find many nifty ideas using pallets which seem like easy, low budget alternatives for all sorts of things. Here are just a few of my favourites.

pallet-vertical-garden.jpgpallet-shoe-rack.jpgpallet-storage.jpgpallet-door.jpgpallet-outdoor-lighting.jpgpallet-fire-pit.jpg

pallet-shelf.jpgpallet-garden-shelf-2.jpg

Would be really interested to know if anyone else has been inspired and used pallets for any DIY projects? Will definitely be trying some of these myself. 

aly
Making a Splash

Re: Pallet DIY Projects

The pallet door is just brilliant - love the look!

Jackson
Making a Splash

Hey @kaylah_rose - they look great! 

My soon-to-be brother-in-law is actually building a bar out of pallets for a party. He grabbed the pallets from the bin in an industrial estate (not sure on legality here), so his project turned out to be quite inexpensive. It was also pretty simple to put together, just a few nails and a couple of hours. If you can pick up the pallets cheap, I'm sure you'll be able to put together something awesome without spending a lot of time or money on it.

Once his project is finished, I'll take some photos and post them here.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good topic @kaylah_rose.

I know @ProjectPete is passionate about using pallets and I'm sure will be keen to share some of his experiences.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Yeah I'm a big fan of the industrial/recycled look @kaylah_rose. I'm all about uniqueness and this is one of the best ways to achieve that.

I've made herb gardens, eskys, a day bed, used one to hang succulents on, cake stand for a wedding and other decorative bits. I've made dog beds, and a table top. That's all that comes to mind right now.

So yes, I'm inspired by it and have experience with it. The misshapen pieces even add some extra challenge which is great.

It's always best to get them for free but I have paid may $5 each for particular styles.

https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/Pallet-esky/cns-p/419

https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/Simple-but-effective-pallet-plant-display-succulents/cns-p/25...

Thanks for the tag @Jason and feel free to tidy up the links as hyperlinks (couldn't do from mobile).
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@stagryan might also be able to share something about his pallet table, picture below...

StagryanPalletTable.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@ProjectPete

Love to see more of your projects where you have used pallets! Especially the cake stand for a wedding. Do you have anymore photos?

I have been keeping my eye out for some free pallets, but have found any yet! Will keep you posted on how my project goes!

I'll see what I can find for you @kayak_rose. Where are you located?
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Located in West Melbourne. Any ideas ould help. I found one place but they sold new pallets and were over the budget. 

Thanks @ProjectPete

Jackson
Making a Splash

@kaylah_rose - this is the pallet bar I was talking about. It turned out great and was definitely a talking point at the party.

pallet-bar.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects