Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor Kitchen

John1
Having an Impact

Outdoor Kitchen

Have a small kitchen indoors as we live in Queensland and would really like to spend more time outside under the patio which is a descend size square meters. It isn't enclosed but thinking about using clear blinds. Would really like to hear from the normal everyday do it yourselfer and not the deep pocket champagne type. so please give me your ideas and if possible photos so I can see your creation.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Outdoor Kitchen

Hi @John1,

Have you seen what Workshop member @Christos built for his outdoor kitchen? Have a look at https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/Outdoor-Kitchen-it-has-taken-me-some-time-to-finish-and-has-n...

I'm sure other members will be keen to share their suggestions and creations. If you could also share photos of your patio space it might help give people some idea of what you are working with. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@John1

Hi John,

All I can say is go for it.  Deb and I practically live outside in our patio.  Fortunately we don't need another kitchen as ours is only a couple of metres from the patio.  The only thing I can say is don't skimp on the blinds.  When we bought our house we installed the PVC clear blinds from Bunnings (sorry Bunnings) and they didn't last 6 months.  They became very brittle and stained very easily.  We have just ordered our 'champagne' blind (4400 x 2400) and it should be installed in about 4 weeks.  I can justify the cost ($2600.00) vs the cost of replacing the blind every 6 months.  Also the new blind is warranted for 10 years and auto retracts when it gets too windy.

Cheers

Daryl

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

What are you thinking @John1? Just a BBQ with perhaps some additional bench space or a full kitchen with sink, stovetop, fridge and maybe even dishwasher? I do like the idea of having a sink - handy for both prep and clean up, and at the very least you can put some ice in it and have cold beers while you cook!

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

So many options! Here's some inspiration to get you started... 

outdoor1.jpgoutdoor2.jpgoutdoor3.jpg

John1
Having an Impact

Patio 1.JPGRear of house.JPGPatio2.JPG

I hope these 3 photos give you an idea as to the length being 11mts. and the width is 4 mts. Pam like all women [I guess] wanted me to clean up the area but me being alpha male did the opposite. Not only do we have tanks that combined hold 3200lts. of water for the gardens we have sola hot water and power from 17 panels on the roof.

Back to the patio. The photo from the back is taken from the path that runs between us and the creek which can be a torrent or a series of water holes and everything inbetween  that hosts an amazing variety of birds, lizards, pythons, possums, scrub turkeys and also at times kangaroos, wallabies and one love sick koala who likes to grunt all night [but he is beautiful]. We had a 3mt. long python that would visit and sleep in the rafters of our patio for a day or two and then move on for about five years.

John1
Having an Impact

Your right I really didn't make myself clear. The sink with hot and cold water, and bench space is a must, a TV, pizza oven [which I want to make myself]. Also we have a lounge that I will recover as we go along. I guess you could call the area not just a kitchen but a place to lounge about eat and relax. I don't want an area that screams don't make a mess! I still want it to be cleaned up after your finished.

Christos's area is absolutly beautiful and spotless. I guess you could call me a kid from the bush.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

It looks like a big space @John1 so you certainly have plenty of options.

I would look to create two different zones that blend into one another - one for cooking and one for relaxing. Something like this:

contemporary-patio-with-outdoor-kitchen.jpg

John1
Having an Impact

Very nice Isobel. It certainly is big and your right two zones maybe the way to go.

John1
Having an Impact

Sorry everyone think I will have to give it up. I am missing something here. It would be funny except I don't get it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects