Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Otter ground screws

jays2007
Growing in Experience

Otter ground screws

Hi guys, anyone had any experience with the otter ground screws? Was looking at these as an option for ground level deck...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/otter-690-x-90mm-ground-screw-stirrup_p0084143?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuefvBRDXARI...

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Otter ground screws

Looks interesting, I haven't seen them before and being a serial offender in not driving screws in straight I wonder how easy they are to get lined up straight?

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I don't have experience with these @jays2007 but depending on your soil type, I'd suggest being conscious of their sturdiness over time.

90x90 or 100x100 H4 stumps concreted into the ground is your best bet IMO - tried and tested. Cheaper than those too.

Stump/post goes 300mm into the ground (so approx 450-550mm total length) and set with rapid set concrete. It'll cost approx $16 per post inc concrete.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
jays2007
Growing in Experience

Thanks @ProjectPete. My soil is reactive clay soil, what sort of depth would you suggest for concrete/stumps?

If you go with the H4 treated pine stumps/posts, just dig a hole that's 400mm deep and set the stump/post 300mm into the ground/hole leaving 100mm below it for concrete. The diameter of your hole should be: Width of post + 250mm (+300mm even better).

Remember to allow enough stump for bearer, etc to attach to. Always better to cut it longer than needed to allow for any miscalculations/movements - you can always trim any excess with recip saw, handsaw or even just a planer. Hope that makes sense @jays2007 

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

HI mate
We sell quite a few of these, best application so far has been for temp work and or rentals, but have seen a few perm structures where these have been set in.

have been looking into these, another brand in particular, started in Scandinavia and is becoming internationally used for anything from small decks to large scale construction.

they have a design/engineer team, and an install team, from what I've seen, its very cost effective, particularly when you have alot of holes.

I probably wouldn't attempt it on my own though and would prefer a professional to design & perhaps even install.

looks like they might be good for clay.

if it was maybe 1 or 2 for a semi permanent structure i would maybe have a go.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects