@Allan72May I suggest covering the slab with a large plastic sheet to trap the moisture in and slow down the drying process. Otherwise use the mist function on your garden gun so as to prevent thermal shock and your concrete drys too fast and ends up with cracks where you dont want it to have. Just a thought my friend.
Thanks @redracer01. You’re spot on. I think it dried to quickly in the heat. I did mist it down last night and today but I didn’t put a sheet on it. Still can do that and might pop down in preparation for tomorrow but we’re looking at cool rainy weather over the week.
- Second slab is down. It’s a much better slab compared to the first. Batched and poured in cooler conditions.
- I found screeding easier as I had the first slab and formwork on the opposite side to guide me. I realise that my screed work on the first slab was inconsistent as I was up against the wall. Some spots are not level but it is not significant. I’m not overly concerned as I reckon I can adjust to get the levels right when tiling. The fall is pretty much right.
- Almost half way!
Unfortunately it has been slow going. I’ve been away on holidays and returned to 4 days straight over 40 degrees C. Managed to get the third slab in but had to time it in relation to spell of hot weather. Consistently at 35 or higher at the moment, so will wait until there is some reprieve possibly in the next week. We’ll see how we go.
A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and trust that you will receive lots of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our members. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the Workshop site or have any feedback about how we can improve it for you.
Hi everyone, Some time has passed since my last post. Back to work after the Christmas break, a spell of illness, kids weekend sport and hot weather certainly slowed down progress on work. However, I’m pleased to say that the slabs are all in. Paving will soon follow.
- I’ve extended the scope of work to include a side gate and fence (colourblind) just down from the patio I’m building. It ties in with the overall work; but the family would like to get a dog and so the gate and fence are essential and have become a priority to get a mutt.
- I plan to put a concrete path in for this side access. There is still some retaining wall work to do and drainage to put in.
- The gate will probably be vertical slatted timber hardwood.
Looking very nice Allan72 cant wait for the "reveal" just like in those reno shows.