Workshop
Ask a question

Other side of house - Project diary

Allan72
Having an Impact

Other side of house - Project diary

Hello everyone,

Having recently completed the west side access of my house it’s now time to turn my attention to the east. I’ve included a quick sketch up plan of what I intend to do. We’re going to put in a patio (concrete slab - 2.8 x 7.8m) that can be accessed from our dining room and living room. Hence the steps. I would have liked something flush with house’s floor elevation but it would have meant a really thick slab and covering the vent holes in the hous’s skin brick work. Had considered a low lying timber deck but have gone with a slab and nice outdoor porcelain tiles (purchased 2nd hand online); as we already have a couple of large timber decks out the back. The access points are stackable glass sliding doors. In time we might install bi-folds hence the length of the steps to cover the sliding doors full width. I’ll use nice timber screens or outdoor art laser cut screen panels, or both, to conceal the water tank and air conditioning unit. It is a nice warm area in the morning and misses out on the harsher afternoon sun. Great spot for a coffee or a cold one. Might consider it a good spot for a chiminea on cooler evenings too (We’ll give winter a miss - we’re in Canberra!!). We will also put in a retaining wall in line with an existing photinia hedge and step it a bit to create planting room for ferns or low lying shrubs and plants underneath it. In any case, I wanted to keep a diary to track progress, provide an opportunity for questions as well as an established post that I could ask questions from. I’d be keen to take ideas and happy to answer any questions. Allan72 Plot clearedPlot cleared

A rough plan - endorsed by wife!!A rough plan - endorsed by wife!!

Re: Other Side of House - Project Diary

@Allan72May I suggest covering the slab with a large plastic sheet to trap the moisture in and slow down the drying process. Otherwise use the mist function on your garden gun so as to prevent thermal shock and your concrete drys too fast and ends up with cracks where you dont want it to have. Just a thought my friend.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks @redracer01. You’re spot on. I think it dried to quickly in the heat. I did mist it down last night and today but I didn’t put a sheet on it. Still can do that and might pop down in preparation for tomorrow but we’re looking at cool rainy weather over the week. 

Update 3:

- Second slab is down. It’s a much better slab compared to the first. Batched and poured in cooler conditions. 

- I found screeding easier as I had the first slab and formwork on the opposite side to guide me. I realise that my screed work on the first slab was inconsistent as I was up against the wall. Some spots are not level but it is not significant. I’m not overly concerned as I reckon I can adjust to get the levels right when tiling. The fall is pretty much right. 

- Almost half way!Formwork is still in.Formwork is still in.

Hey @Allan72 how about an update! How far have you gone? 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Update 4:

Hi Redracer,

Unfortunately it has been slow going. I’ve been away on holidays and returned to 4 days straight over 40 degrees C. Managed to get the third slab in but had to time it in relation to spell of hot weather. Consistently at 35 or higher at the moment, so will wait until there is some reprieve possibly in the next week. We’ll see how we go.

Love-Lee
Getting Established

Eagerly waiting for updates! Looking good so far.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Love-Lee. I'm sure @Allan72 appreciates the positive feedback.

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and trust that you will receive lots of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our members. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the Workshop site or have any feedback about how we can improve it for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Allan72
Having an Impact

Update 5:

Hi everyone, Some time has passed since my last post. Back to work after the Christmas break, a spell of illness, kids weekend sport and hot weather certainly slowed down progress on work. However, I’m pleased to say that the slabs are all in. Paving will soon follow. 

- I’ve extended the scope of work to include a side gate and fence (colourblind) just down from the patio I’m building. It ties in with the overall work; but the family would like to get a dog and so the gate and fence are essential and have become a priority to get a mutt. 

- I plan to put a concrete path in for this side access. There is still some retaining wall work to do and drainage to put in.

- The gate will probably be vertical slatted timber hardwood. Earlier worksEarlier works

Looking north. 22 sqm in total.Looking north. 22 sqm in total.

Concrete path, drainage and retaining wall work to follow.Concrete path, drainage and retaining wall work to follow.

Work progressingWork progressing

Looking southLooking south

Looking very nice Allan72 cant wait for the "reveal" just like in those reno shows.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Other side of house - Project diary

Hi @Allan72,

Hope you are staying safe and well.

This has been an extremely popular project with the community so it would be fantastic if we could please trouble you for an update. We would love to see any progress made. 

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects