Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Other Side of House - Project Diary

redracer01
Experienced Contributor

Re: Other Side of House - Project Diary

@Allan72May I suggest covering the slab with a large plastic sheet to trap the moisture in and slow down the drying process. Otherwise use the mist function on your garden gun so as to prevent thermal shock and your concrete drys too fast and ends up with cracks where you dont want it to have. Just a thought my friend.

Allan72
Junior Contributor

Thanks @redracer01. You’re spot on. I think it dried to quickly in the heat. I did mist it down last night and today but I didn’t put a sheet on it. Still can do that and might pop down in preparation for tomorrow but we’re looking at cool rainy weather over the week. 

Allan72
Junior Contributor

Update 3:

- Second slab is down. It’s a much better slab compared to the first. Batched and poured in cooler conditions. 

- I found screeding easier as I had the first slab and formwork on the opposite side to guide me. I realise that my screed work on the first slab was inconsistent as I was up against the wall. Some spots are not level but it is not significant. I’m not overly concerned as I reckon I can adjust to get the levels right when tiling. The fall is pretty much right. 

- Almost half way!2DFE1010-E6F0-478A-81FB-A7632D7993B0.jpegFormwork is still in.

redracer01
Experienced Contributor

Hey @Allan72 how about an update! How far have you gone? 

Allan72
Junior Contributor

Update 4:

Hi Redracer,

Unfortunately it has been slow going. I’ve been away on holidays and returned to 4 days straight over 40 degrees C. Managed to get the third slab in but had to time it in relation to spell of hot weather. Consistently at 35 or higher at the moment, so will wait until there is some reprieve possibly in the next week. We’ll see how we go.

Love-Lee

Eagerly waiting for updates! Looking good so far.
Highlighted
Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Love-Lee. I'm sure @Allan72 appreciates the positive feedback.

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and trust that you will receive lots of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our members. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the Workshop site or have any feedback about how we can improve it for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects