Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Options for replacing gas booster on solar hot water system

snichols
Junior Contributor

Options for replacing gas booster on solar hot water system

Hi all,

We have a Solarhart solar hot water system with a gas booster that's 10 years old. We have had a lot of problems with the gas booster failing over the years. Most of the parts have been replaced at some stage or another. The solar system works great. But the booster has now failed again so I'm wondering whether we should bite the bullet and replace it with something else. We had a quote a couple of years ago for a Bosch instantaneous unit to hook up to our existing solar tank as that plumber reckoned we would continue to have problems as the roof is a harsh environment for the booster - better to have a separate unit on the ground. But the reviews for the Bosch 21e are mostly terrible so I'm nervous. It was also very expensive - the quote was $2800 two years ago. Anyone got any suggestions about different options?

Brad
Valued Contributor

Re: Options for replacing gas booster on solar hot water system

On the 2nd Solahart now since 1980, both had electric booster that apart from when I did early starts in winter has mostly been turned off, might not be a lot of help to you though.
snichols
Junior Contributor

Thanks Brad. Glad you've had no problems with yours. You must get more sunshine in winter than us. We really need the booster from this time of year onwards. 

I bit the bullet and got a Rheem 20 installed this morning. Couldn't put up with cold showers any more! The plumber says the Bosch I was originally quoted and the Rheem are both good but recommended the Rheem as its the same company as Solarhart and so warranty claims can be easier if there's ever a problem. I think its this one - https://www.bunnings.com.au/rheem-20l-natural-gas-60-c-continuous-flow-gas-hot-water-unit_p5103000 

I am surprised at how much installation costs. Took two plumbers about 3 hours to install, plus an electrician about an hour. 

snichols
Junior Contributor

Happy with the new system so far. Still smarting at the cost, but its good to have hot showers again! I'm also happy that there's not too much of a lag before the water is hot - which I had heard can be a problem with "instaneous" systems. Also hoping the gas bill will now be lower compared to the old booster which constantly kept the water in the solar hot water system tank on the roof hot rather than just heating water as needed. 

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects