Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Not made to last

thatfamousguy
Just Starting Out

Not made to last

Guys

why are so many products now not made to last?

out of many products i have bought and fixed, one in particular stands out

i have a year old washing trolley. https://images.app.goo.gl/TZoxzP8YD7QgdaHq8

the wheels fell off a few months back and i replaced them, but what i don't understand is the peg basket is not UV stabilized.

its an outdoor product. after a year the peg basket has deteriorated from the sun and fell apart.

Its a product that stays in the sun but isn't UV stabilised.

my stainless bbq... rusty. my wheel barrow is powder coated, so its rusting.

as an engineer and designer, just a little attention to detail by the manufacturer would negate these things and have many australians proud of their purchases for years to come. we also wouldn't have as many things going to the tip so soon.

is there a way you guys can ensure you products are made from suitable materials for their intended use?

I spend many hours of weekends at bunnings, but the occasional product failure just does my head in.

for example i have a trojan tool board that the tools fall off. i've had to double side tape the tool hooks on.

chicken tractor house, the wheels fell off...

i feel im getting a lot of practice fixing things however

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Not made to last

Hi @thatfamousguy,

Welcome to Workshop, a site for D.I.Y. and gardening discussion. We have many passionate members sharing helpful information, advice and inspiration, so we're sure you'll find the site useful and fit right into the community. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything or have a project to share. 

I will pass your feedback onto the Bunnings merchandise team about the washing trolley. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason

Its a little bit more than one product though.

a friend of mine started a facebook group dedicated to the big warehouse and things that break 

Do you think maybe bunnings could allow reviews of products?

maybe that would put pressure on the manufacturers to make products that aren't so cheap and nasty?

I love bunnings, i spend 2-300 a fortnight there.

but yeah fixing things i've bought from there is starting to wear thin

Sure, I understand your sentiment @thatfamousguy.

Bunnings added customer product reviews to the website last year. You are also very welcome to review products here on Workshop if you believe the community would benefit from your experience.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@thatfamousguy Welcome to the Workshop community! 

Perhaps you would enjoy taking a look at my Disston Tenon Saw refurbish beautiful old saw.

I look forward to seeing what projects you are up to!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"as an engineer and designer, just a little attention to detail by the manufacturer would negate these things and have many australians proud of their purchases for years to come. we also wouldn't have as many things going to the tip so soon."

Hello Sir.

Sadly we now live in a "throw-away" society where manufacturers do not build with love or desire the product to be around for long. Sometimes I think they engineer an early demise - so you come back and buy another.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects