Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

No shade solution for rented outdoor property

pinkssyd
Just Starting Out

No shade solution for rented outdoor property

hi 

I have recently moved to a rented house and later realised there is no deck or covered outdoor area. It has big front and backyard with no shades and being in east and north it is fully in sun during daytime.

it is a grass land with vege garden in the corners.

i wanted to set up a good outdoor space for entertainment with some furniture and bbq but with full exposure to weather it may be ruined.

is there any option

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: No shade solution for rented outdoor property

@pinkssyd I wouldn't say your ideas of an outdoor entertainer area are "ruined", but you might need to alter the plans thinking outside the box.

Firstly I would write an email to the real estate/owner asking if they would consider allowing you to lay some pavers in a corner. Obviously it will kill the grass, however if you specify you will re-seed and restore the area before you leave they may be inclined to allow this.

Whether it is Bunnings or someone else I would check out the range of cantilever umbrellas, these will provide the shade.

Perhaps a small portable bbq and a 5 piece setting, could also fit on the pavers.

Just some ideas of what I would do.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Second that on the cantilever umbrellas. Because they are moveable and adjustable in both height, direction and angle they can be used in virtually any position.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sure there is a lot you can do @pinkssyd. Great to see  you already have some very helpful suggestions. You might also like to share a photo or two so members can see what you are working with and provide even more specific advice. 

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. We are looking forward to seeing what you can achieve. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects