Workshop
Ask a question

D.I.Y. chicken coop project

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

D.I.Y. chicken coop project

Hi all,

Unfortunately for this project I ran out of treated pine timber so I had to buy new.  Fortunately, everything else is recycled.  Let me take you through it.

(by the way I am talking about chickens here...)

We previously had 6 austrolorps which we found out (with all chickens) are major poo producers.  We used to let them out and they got into everything.  We decided to downsize a little and decided on 3/4 leghorns.  Also the old pen was in the wrong location and had to go.

IMG_3249.JPG

After some research, we found the optimal size for 4 chooks.   I drew up a design which I was happy with and got to work. This is basic construction with glue and nails.  (Yeah, I know the shed needs a bit of a tidy up).

tray.jpg

I decided that a tray under the roosting rails would come in handy when cleaning.  This used to be a drip tray from an old supermarket freezer.  I think the handle is off an old outdoor gas heater.

chimney.jpg

I made up a pvc chimney to allow heat buildup to escape.  (The shed is insulated as well).  You can see the door to the 2 laying boxes.  The lid is also on hinges for easy cleaning.

feeder.jpg

Feeder made out of 90mm pvc downpipe.  Just waiting for the water nipples to arrive for the waterer.

inposition.jpg

In position and ready to go.  The main door slides up and down and can be manually raised/lowered at this stage.  I have ordered some electrical parts so I can make this automatic (will cover this in another topic later once complete).

IMG_3294.JPG

The girls have arrived and only took 2 days to realise where their new home is.  They still startle a little but are improving every day.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: New house for the girls, and new girls.

Looks great! Nice looking chicks
Flyingdoormat
Getting Established

Good work. Have you noticed an increase in their egg production?

@Flyingdoormat

The girls are a bit young yet so just getting them used to the light cycle.  Probably see good production in the next 1-2 weeks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: D.I.Y. chicken coop project

Visitors to this popular project might also be interested in seeing Daryl's automatic chicken coop door opener.

Please let us know if you need a hand with your own chicken coop project.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JerryT
Just Starting Out

Mate if you still have your drawing and the lists of the material. can you please share? Thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JerryT. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Let me mention @darylhewston, so they are alerted to your question about their project.

Are you looking to build your own chicken coop? You should find these guides useful: What to consider for your very own chicken coop and How to build a D.I.Y. chicken coop.

We'll be keen to follow along with your project. Please let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects