Workshop
Ask a question

Table and chair project

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Table and chair project

chair2.jpgchair3.jpg

I was not going to share my project as it was undertaken in conjunction with the local men’s shed and a local TAFE. This project was implemented because a large number of us wanted to learn more about joinery. After an audit of skills amongst us we approached the local TAFE to see what could be delivered. Hence the Chair and a table, the table is currently under construction. which I will post once completed. However, after a discussion with a person younger than myself I have decided to share my experience.

“What is the men’s shed I was asked?” I was a bit surprised by the question as I thought everyone new what the Men’s Shed was about and what it does for men and men’s health.

As those who have life threatening diseases such as various forms of cancer there are few support groups for men in local areas and more so in rural areas.

For many years the Men Sheds has provided moral and physical support for men dealing with medical issues such as cancers, both physical and mental (depression) issues and so on.

The support that the sheds provide can be in the form of.

1. Just to sit and discuss their issues with other men or just sit and have a discussion about anything over tea, coffee or lunch.
  2. The opportunity to share and pass on skills developed over their working life.
  3. The opportunity to learn a new skill.
  4. Get involved in new technologies.
  5. Or to take part in projects that involve local community’s such
    1. Community house and other community groups
    2. Kindergartens
    3. Schools
    4. Scouts

In the past men would finish their working life & not long after develop varying levels of health issues and within a few short years have fallen off the tree of life.

Each year we lose 2 or 3 members of the shed that succumb to illness.

The Men’s Shed is not just for “old men”, we have had young men in their 20’s with various medical / physical issue. Then again the Shed is not for everyone for whatever the reason.

“Political”

We have been accused of being a secret men’s business. I know from my own experience dealing with depression, heart and prostrate issues, without this secret men’s business I don’t know where I would be.

The Men’s Shed is not about teaching people life skills or retraining for a new job. To take a quote from the AMSA:

The Men’s Shed movement has now become one of the most powerful tools in addressing health and wellbeing and helping men to once again become valued and productive members of our community’s”.

“Bunnings”

When it comes to the local community there is always a need for help with projects of some form. There lies a problem; materials just don’t grow on trees. To do the projects where do the materials come from? In many case materials are recycled reclaimed and reused, but there is never enough to go around.

It’s not often I blow the trumpet of a very large company but in this case I will as Bunnings has provided help to many community groups in the form of materials at either no cost or at a highly reduced rate and BBQ’s. In a rural community I know of Bunnings and the local shed working together at field day events promoting the local shed.

I cannot speak more highly of our local Bunnings and the support they have provided us and other community groups.

If you would like to know more about the Shed’s or where you can find your local shed here is a link to The Australian Men’s Shed Association.

https://mensshed.org

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New Men's Shed Project - Table and Chair

Many thanks for sharing @r23on. The Australian Men's Shed Association is certainly doing great work. You might be interested in this previous discussion kicked off by @popawisky - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garage-and-Shed/Mens-Sheds/m-p/11675. Workshop regular @Wayne responded that he is a regular and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Well here we are back again, the finished project Chair and table which will make a good addition to the garden on a summer day with a cool one in hand.

only took two weeks to complete.

IMG_1462.JPGIMG_1463.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Beautiful job @r23on. I'm sure you are going to enjoy that chair for many years to come. 

What wood did you use and what did you learn from the project? Any tips you could give members for building something similar?

Thanks again for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Jason

the material is cypress pine and has had 3 coats of linseed oil as it is very green

vickiec
Growing in Experience

How about using pallet wood. U can build awesome stuff that wood.
I would gladly help in getting some if need be.
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi vickiec

While pallets can provided a supply of materials for various projects we need to be careful of which pallets to use as a large number of the pallets are used for chemical storage and transtorting of chemicals, as we do not know where they come from its in our best intrest not to use them at all. The health of our members is more important than a few pallets.

A perfect example is material being glued to gether put through a thicknesser drilled, sawn and sanding, creates a lot of fine dust particals and if the pallet has been used to store chemicales on them. The chemical is well inbedded into the wood and who knows how toxic it is.

We do wood turning which presents another problem with fine wood dust that hangs in the air no matter how good the vacume system is. The mask most people use just does not cut the mustard when preventing fine wood dust from getting in to our bodies. Including handling.

I Guess in short whenever sanding is involved fine wood dust just hangs in the air and wearing a mask won't prevent the dust being pulled in from the sides of the mask.

Reclaiming timber is a great idea when you know where it comes from. In fact 98% of the material we use is reclaimed including steel

We sooner be safe than sorry. A question for anyone who reads this why do companies put pallets out for people to take?

Possible answers :- They have reached their usability life, they can not be reused or recycled due to chemical contamination, cost factor of geting rid of them. The list would be long.

Thank you for your offer and thinking of us

Orby
Getting Established

This is absolutely amazing. Great craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing. Great inspiration. Us younger generation don’t get to see work like this anymore because we’ve become accustomed to the cheap stuff spewed out by the likes of IKEA.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Orby

thanks for the thumbs up. We enjoyed the project.The TAFE involved did a great job as well

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects