Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New Ekodeck decking project

Trying
Making a Splash

New Ekodeck decking project

TryingDeck.JPG

Hi people,

I'm about to build a new deck approx. 5 mts x 2.5 mts attached to my "she-shed".

I'm loving the idea of low maintenance 10 yr warranty product called 'ekodeck'.

I used to be a diehard timber girl but I'm asking if anyone has used this product as I'd like to get some feedback before I choose materials.

With thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Re : Deck me please

All the very best with the decking project @Henno. Please share some progress shots and the final result when you can. It sounds like an interesting material.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Henno, brilliant find mate, I'd never heard of it, so Google came to the rescue. :wink:

I have to say, it may seem seem expensive (from Whirlpool forum), but you do get a lot for the money. Apparently it's been around for quite a while overseas, though not that long here, but the 25 year warranty should ease doubts about its longevity.

When you mentioned the self-healing properties when fixing with the stainless nails, I had my doubts, but word has it that it does do it. Very impressive indeed.

Put your feet up, enjoy your hard earned frothy beverages for many years to come on your maintenance free deck, & take in the goodness that your investment will continue to reward. Very happy for yah mate.

I like this one - driftwood

weathereddriftwoodphotofull.jpg

Henno
Having an Impact

This is the one I've chosen Kellie. Got a thumbs up from my builder today who said it's dropped in price by 20% in the last year.
It's difficult to see it in real life, but there's a contractor opening a showroom in Sydney soon, so we should be paying him a visit in the next couple of weeks.
Ajmod
Building a Reputation

Hi everyone! I'm also considering using ekodeck for the outdoor area of a rental property. The area is quite small and ideally i would like something durable and low maintenance which is why i am leaning towards the composite decking over Merbau. I have heard that ekodeck has issues with getting really hot (to the point of barely being able to walk on it) in the summer time though when temperatures are 30+ degrees. Has anyone had any experience with this?   

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi Ajmod
That is a good point... material manufacturers don't always share engineering properties
ie. ( mechanical, chemical, thermal etc....) and AFAIK there are no AS codes?

These are  composites made from cellulose-based materials and thermoplastics and they are materials used in insulators..
As an engineer I rate materials in order of selection by
1. Engineering properties
2. Maintenance and durability
3. Appearance
4.5 etc,etc

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Ajmod thanks for bringing up the heat issues, I hadn't delved into it enough to know that. We have serious heat issues with artificial turf, it's a virtually unusable play area for our pets in summer.

I had dreams of using @Henno's Millwood as sleepers, but I will have to rule it out if it also has heat issues. :unhappy:

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

A rival has claimed that choice of colour can vary the temperature by 25c
Henno
Having an Impact

Guys, I don't have too many issues with heat as both our decks will be covered. However, I was able to lay my hands on a sample and did some tests, hoping to prove some things to myself. The roughness of the product seems to help dissipate some of the heat and spilling beetroot on it doesn't seem to affect it terribly. I guess if a deck is going to be outside you should look to put some sort of cover over some portion of it. 25C is indeed an issue, but I guess getting a sample is the only way of proving it for yourself. Give it a smashing and ask the hard questions of the supplier...
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

All good @Henno, even if it's only lightly shaded, you'll be fine mate, it's the direct heat that's the killer.

If it passed your beetroot test, then that's also a good sign. Not that I'm one to fuss over everything outside here, I like the lived in look. :wink:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects