Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My home made rear deck

Sidney7
Growing in Experience

My home made rear deck

This my rear deck I am building, and in the process of painting the pergola/posts etc and considering getting rid of the narrow steep stairs and constructing wide boxed stepped stairs for easy transition onto back lawn. For the merbau deck boards I used Intergrain Natures Timber Oil which was the best product for me so far.

pre deck8.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: My home made rear deck.

Fantastic work @Sidney7. I'm sure you'll spend many happy times out on the deck with friends and family. We are looking forward to seeing you put the finishing touches to the area.

Many thanks for sharing your first project with the community after being a member for so long. Don't be a stranger now! Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with anything around the house and garden, and please don't hesitate to join in all the discussions and share other projects with us. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans, and trust that our members will provide you with plenty of information, advice and inspiration along the way.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Re: My home made rear deck

That looks really good @Sidney7. Good stuff.

I like your idea of the wider steps and looking at your work so far, I'd say that you'd pull that one off nicely.

bigboy2502
Finding My Feet

Great looking Sidney7.Would love to know what materials you used to create this.And how do you mount the timber to the facia?

Thanks for joining in the discussion @bigboy2502. I'm sure @Sidney7 appreciates the positive feedback and will be happy to answer your question about the pergola as soon as possible.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need assistance with a project around the house or garden. We have an amazing community here sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects every day. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sidney7
Growing in Experience

Thanks @bigboy2502, I enjoyed constructing the deck and pergola and used all treated pine, I had heaps of Bunnings vouchers to redeem so purchased everything from them.  H3- 200x50mm for the bearer beams, rafters and joists, H4 for the 90x90mm posts and 90x19mm merbau decking boards. I decided to put polycarbonate corrugated roofing on half the deck for now and maybe to grow grape vine over the sunny exposed area.

I used corrugated joist hanger brackets to mount the rafters/ledgers to house fascia.

It would be nice to replace the big Stegbar slide window with a sliding door for direct access from lounge to the deck instead of going via the rear door all the time. Re the stepped stairs, I could bolt the 2 boxed stair frames to the base posts under the deck bearer beam where it is a snug fit.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Came up a treat - nice one @Sidney7 

What colour are you painting the posts, rails, steps, etc?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Sidney7
Growing in Experience

Honeybear says she likes the 'classic cream' but I rather like that 'ironstone' or 'ironbark '' which would enhance and contrast nicely the surrounding garden, lawn and climbers, the side hardwood fence is that ironstone in colour.

I see you are a fan of Dulux Domino which I wouldn't mind as a fence colour

Using my computers graphics program I could fill in the deck/pergola framework to see what colours look like.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects