Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My custom pool design

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

My custom pool design

I have the great pleasure and challenge of designing the pool for the new house :smile:

In our current place we have a small fibreglass pool which we didn't have much flexibility with given the small area we had to work in. It's smaller than we'd like and uninteresting in its design. However in the new house we have much more room and we'l be doing a concrete pool so we get the design we want.

Would love to hear from anyone that's done this before and/or is a pool designer/installer by trade. My current plan is to build it from precast slabs, join it up, seal it, tile/skin it and fill. And this is where I'm looking for some insights/feedback.

• Best/most efficient way to build this pool? I'm think most, if not all, is precast slabs but can see a possible combination with some intricacies frame and built on site.
  • Suggestions on finish? Fe options; raw concrete with appropriate sealant, membrane, tiling.
  • Specific consideration for effective jet/filtration positioning?
  • Sand or cartridge filter? Pros and cons...
  • Anything else you have to offer is welcome :smile:

We're looking at a pool around 7m x 4m in swimming area and would like a more unique and appealing entry such as below (ideally in addion to the swimming area but open to some compromise).

Love the idea of being able to lay on the flatLove the idea of being able to lay on the flatNice steps plus "spa"Nice steps plus "spa"Nice steps plus "spa"Nice steps plus "spa"

Thanks very much!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: My custom pool design

Pool update

I've just had the internal layout completed (stairs, laying platform, sitting ledge) ready for a tidy up before doing the finishing, all ready for summer as promised 😀

20190918_170141.jpg20190919_112606.jpg20190919_172558.jpg

@Kermit (and others) I'm actually looking at this Pacific Teak for decking now rather than Jarrah.

Screenshot_20190923-081116_Gallery.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

By the way, I'm now offering my professional pool testing services...

IMG-20190922-WA0002.jpgIMG-20190922-WA0004.jpgIMG-20190922-WA0003.jpgIMG-20190922-WA0001.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

🤣

Love those photos @ProjectPete - very funny. 

Looking forward to seeing it all finished. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Torn elbow tendon and hip flexor has slowed me down of late but nearly finished my deck out front of house and painting the pool. Below is the first coat. I'll be doing 3 in total. Loving how it's turning out. 

Next I'm doing a feature fence in the pool area (just extended height from 1800mm to 2100mm in preparation), then decking, then cacti feature garden. Looking forward to being able to kick back and enjoy all this hard work. Nearly there!

20191108_090719.jpg20191108_090739.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Third and final coat.

Now to finish surrounds, install equipment and hidden/underground roller, and fill her up.

20191117_101148.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

My hard work culminated in an awesome day yesterday spending the morning in the pool with my girls followed by hosting our first party of the season with our closest friends. Felt proud of what I've created for us all to enjoy :smile: 

Justa few finishing touches required now - ie.cacti feature! And decking lid for underground equipment enclosure

20191214_124233.jpg

20191214_180305.jpg

20191214_194540(0).jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Congrats mate.

Outstanding effort!

Hey @ProjectPete, we are looking at contacting an engineer to finalise our pool details. We are based in Ardross and require drawings for the council.. could you please point us in the right direction. Thanks, Graeme

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Graeme (@graemep68). It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about contacting an engineer.

Let me mention @ProjectPete, so he is alerted to your question, and hopefully, he can point you in the right direction.

It would be fantastic if you'd like to share your pool building project with us. Feel free to start a discussion and document your install. I trust many of our members would be interested in following along.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects