Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My custom pool design

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

My custom pool design

I have the great pleasure and challenge of designing the pool for the new house :smile:

In our current place we have a small fibreglass pool which we didn't have much flexibility with given the small area we had to work in. It's smaller than we'd like and uninteresting in its design. However in the new house we have much more room and we'l be doing a concrete pool so we get the design we want.

Would love to hear from anyone that's done this before and/or is a pool designer/installer by trade. My current plan is to build it from precast slabs, join it up, seal it, tile/skin it and fill. And this is where I'm looking for some insights/feedback.

• Best/most efficient way to build this pool? I'm think most, if not all, is precast slabs but can see a possible combination with some intricacies frame and built on site.
  • Suggestions on finish? Fe options; raw concrete with appropriate sealant, membrane, tiling.
  • Specific consideration for effective jet/filtration positioning?
  • Sand or cartridge filter? Pros and cons...
  • Anything else you have to offer is welcome :smile:

We're looking at a pool around 7m x 4m in swimming area and would like a more unique and appealing entry such as below (ideally in addion to the swimming area but open to some compromise).

Love the idea of being able to lay on the flatLove the idea of being able to lay on the flatNice steps plus "spa"Nice steps plus "spa"Nice steps plus "spa"Nice steps plus "spa"

Thanks very much!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: My custom pool design

Hi @ProjectPete

What are your soil type conditions... is it Class M?

Are you still going down the reinforced Masonry blockwork pool structure + Liner path or concrete shell?

You will need Planning Drawings  & Building/Engineering

Please leave a PM if you require assistance 

Cheers

Chris

@BIM_Engineer I got this response:

Existing ground surface of this lot was around RL8.5m. Historical maximum groundwater level is RL8m.

Given the lot is at RL11.24, there is around 3m clearance to historical max groundwater. Depending on time of year the clearance to actual groundwater may be more.

With regards to clay, reviewing the closest borehole by Douglas Partners, there was sand to a depth of at least 2.5m below existing ground surface.
----------
Handy and helpful

So your water level is approx.3m below the ground level

and the deepest end of your pool is 2.1m

Therefore .9m above ground water.. hydrostatic water pressure maybe an issue..more reason not to use pool liners

Also check your storm water disposal.

@BIM_Engineer I think we may bring the depth back to 1.7-1.8m (plus thickness of precast slab). Would that be worthwhile?

By 'pool liner' you mean the internal finish, right? If so, please remind me why. Risk of bubbling or something from ground water/moisture?

Any other things to consider base don the engineer's info above?

----------
Handy and helpful

Managed to secure an engineer to start work on our drawings and certification :smile:
----------
Handy and helpful

Quick update on this one...

- Engineer's CAD finalised so it's off to a drafty to detail each panel ready for construction.
- Digger, crane and rigger all lined up and ready to go.
- Just waiting on building permit approval which is taking a bit longer than expected as I want to get closer to the boundary than standard so need further certification from my engineer.
- We'll have a combo of aggregate concrete and composite decking around the pool with an aggregate infinity edge.
- We planned to install a custom pool fence/barrier but because it hasn't been certified against Australian Standard yet, my strict timeline won't allow for the design/review/certification/etc process which will be especially painful if it doesn't end up being certified/approved so we're sticking with glass panels, black spigots.

Will def share pics of the install process once I have them in the coming weeks :smile:
----------
Handy and helpful

It's been a crazy week getting my chemical grout injection (CGI) done, hole dug, base formed and poured in situ, precast panels made and installed.

20190312_075747.jpg  20190313_121335.jpg20190316_104751.jpg 

20190319_075536.jpg  20190319_081345.jpg  20190319_111322.jpg 

And this week it's all about getting the concrete poured around the pool, the glass fence in and the surrounding fake grass. The pool area itself will consist of concrete and decking as we push for different textures and dimensions, keeping things as raw as possible.

----------
Handy and helpful
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Wow, exciting. What kind of decking are you going for?

Thanks @Kermit  - still plenty to do but at least i can see it coming together now :smile:

Jarrah decking along two sides of the pool and it'll make the lid for the underground pump/filter/etc enclosure. I also want to build the lid up a bit so it doubles as a platofmr to jump in from. Will be putting some hydraulic struts in to make lifting the lid nice and easy.

----------
Handy and helpful

A couple more pics with the surrounding concrete done, glass fencing and the amazing black spigots and hardware, and the grass. Next is to finish the inside of the pool with steps, platform and ledge, then do the feature fences (exposed bricks, timber -- still a little undecided), followed by the decking on the sides where you still see sand. And of course installing the pool equipment.

I've put the above finishing items on hold while I work on other projects around the house and also take some time to rest given we won't be swimming in it for a few months now anyway.

20190420_103122.jpg20190420_103129.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects