Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My adult jungle gym

ashybear
Just Starting Out

My adult jungle gym

Hi Everyone,

Right now I'm still in the planning stages. About to put my shopping list together for the first part of my jungle gym. I wanted to build a 2.4 x 2.4m platform that stands on legs 2.4m tall. I want to build it so it is relatively easy to relocate if necessary. I was thinking of adding a hinge in the middle of the platform to allow it to collapse but I got stuck.

How would you all attach the legs so they could be easily removed/replaced at a future stage? I was thinking some sort of bracket or using some kind of bolt but I'm not sure what that might look like and I haven't been able to find much about how to do it. Ideas?

Thanks!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: My adult jungle gym

Just off the top of my head...

Few questions - Are you thinking of having a deck on top? Bottom?

Bracing the posts (legs) or are you looking to have maximum free space between them?

Having handrails which also can provide bracing?

You are going to have a trade off between safe and easily movable. The general rule of 1/3 of the post being inground in clay soils is not easily moved. Mounting onto concrete pads is another option, just leave the pads behind if you move it.

I would have a look at cup head bolts for fixing.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ashybear,

Sounds like a fun project! I hope our community members will be able to assist you. Have you sketched a basic plan of what you want to build that you could share with us? 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us as our latest community member. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project. We have many members like @Brad who are only too happy to share their experience and knowledge. 

Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses. Thanks again for posting. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cooks76
Finding My Feet

I don't really understand what you're proposing. Could you maybe give us a sketch or something? Jungle gyms are typically bars for swinging - why the platform on top?

Zighy-bay-jungle-gym.jpg

With regards to attaching the deck to the post’s you could potentially make some sleeves up that the posts slip into and then put 2 cup head bolts through one from either side if the posts are going in the corners?

I’m not sure what you were planning on doing at ground level with the posts but you could concrete some stirrups in the ground that supports your posts but would also allow you to un-bolt the posts and move the whole post rather then having to cut it of or smash through concrete to move should you need to.

I’m sure there are plenty of other options. This one is just a suggestion. I hope it helps or I might be way off the mark of what you’re thinking but I would love to see what you come up with. 👍🏻
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

You might also want to start with the Australian Codes
for Temporary Structures & Playground Equipment

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects