Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Merbau feature wall with vertical garden

weekenddiyer
Having an Impact

Merbau feature wall with vertical garden

IMG_7328.jpgI just finished off a spring project, getting ready for the warmer weather in the coming months.

We have a water tank at the end of our back deck where we put our BBQ, I didn't find it unsightly, however I thought we could do something more with this space. 

I was keen to have some extra storage, bench space for barbecuing and ideally a sink to wash hands etc.

Before.jpg

I made the frame slightly higher than the water tank so that we wouldn't see it when finished.  I also left a spot to include a vertical garden in the middle of the wall.

Frame.jpg

With merbau decking installed, it started to take shape, and just a ply backing where the garden will go as you won't see it. 

Roughin.jpg

And here's the final product...

I considered building an outdoor kitchen cabinetry, however I saw some IKEA outdoor cupboards and thought for the price they weren't bad and would save me a lot of time.  I opted for the ones with the stainless steel top, and then did a hack by cutting a hole for the sink and tap (also from IKEA). 

I also added some deck lighting to the Un-real Boston Fern vertical garden which I was pretty impressed at how easy it was to work with, cutting it to size for the recess in the wall. 

Getting Bunnings to cut the merbau to size for me saved a lot of time and gave me cleaner cuts than I would have been able to achieve.

I'm planning on getting a new Family Weber Q (3200) with a new stand to replace our Weber Baby Q and rickety stand which has seen better days.  (The Baby Q will then be used as our portable / picnic BBQ).

After.jpg

Sink.jpg

Hopefully this helps with some inspiration for a quick and easy outdoor kitchen area.  I built this over a weekend, so it's pretty achievable, even for a newbie DIYer like me.  Feel free to ask any questions.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Merbau feature wall with vertical garden

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Jay8. Let me tag @weekenddiyer so he is alerted to your question. 

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. We have members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects every day, so please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Jay8  not that I’ve seen. But some bar fridges like the ones from come with a benchtop integrated into them.

SthCoastBuilder
Just Starting Out

You can't hook a sink waste to storm water. It has to run to sewer. Storm water runs into creeks and rivers that eventually lead to the ocean therefore your polluting the waterways. Your council would love to know your illegally running a sink into the stormwater. fines apply

Thanks for joining in the discussion @SthCoastBuilder and sharing your knowledge and experience. We look forward to reading more of your posts soon and appreciate the information provided, but would also like to give a friendly reminder of our Workshop rules of participation which remind members to always show respect to all.

Welcome to the community and thanks again,

Jason

Hi @SthCoastBuilder - you're quite right... excuse the typo, I meant to say sewerage.  The plans were approved by our local council, so there won't be any surprises there.

Senator
Getting Established

Well done looks awesome!!  

TerryN
Having an Impact

That looks great.What an improvement to the area.Terrific job.Regards Terry.

Jocando
Finding My Feet

What a great prodgect looks great well done. Hopefully we can do as well with ours thanks for sharing.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jocando. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @weekenddiyer so they are alerted to your kind feedback. This Merbau feature wall with vertical garden continues to be one of our most popular projects within the community. I trust our members will be more than happy to provide assistance and advice with your own version. Did you have any plans which you could share with us?

We look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with us. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration within the community, just like this project, as our creative members are contributing their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

billybob
Finding My Feet

Hi 

this is everything I need to cover a big fat water tank it looks amazing unfortunately I can’t do it my self so would need a handy man to make it for me .

can you please tell me how much the materials cost you 

thanks .Tina 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects