Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Matrix Fence Extensions (Bunnings) to paling fence

ChrisM
Growing in Experience

Matrix Fence Extensions (Bunnings) to paling fence

Hi there :smile: Just joined group today & very desperate for any help or as much advice/ideas as possible since having not much handy experience at all :tear:

We're wanting to add 4 x Matrix Fence Extensions (the plastic ones using metal rods) to our wood paling fence but not sure how or where to affix them since we have the reverse side of fence with cross beams & posts.  Keeping in line with council regulations of 2metre height we thought it best to have screens somehow sitting on top cross beam (fence height 1.64 & screens .6).  We then thought if we cut the top off the fence posts & have screens sit flush on top of these, attaching the metal rods to the main posts however the screens are only 241cm long and the posts are 252cm apart (8cm wide).  I figure we really need screens to be 260cm long in this case.  I've sent an email off to bunnings to see if they can provide custom made to this length however not sure what to do if they can't. I'm open to any suggestions, idea's, alternatives on how to affix appropriately. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  

Cheers

Chrisside of house 6.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Matrix Fence Extensions (Bunnings) to paling fence

Is this what you're looking at @ChrisMhttps://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-2400-x-600mm-charcoal-sahara-fence-extension_p0029254

I'm sure Workshop members will be happy to provide any advice they can.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're pleased you could join us and hope you get lots of helpful information and inspiration for your projects from Workshop members. Please post whenever you need assistance or have a new project to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
royq
Having an Impact

Hi @ChrisM, the panels would be 2400 long because that is a standard length for most modular fence panels (colorbond and the like). Are you worried if the mount posts don't line up with the posts on your fence? If not, you could screw pieces of timber vertically in between the top two rails on your fence and mount it to those, then you can move the timbers to suit the length of the screen panels.

Cheers, Roy

ChrisM
Growing in Experience

Thanks for responding Roy. Makes sense now about the reason for 2400 length. Correct - we were wanting to affix to the posts already there.  Thought this would look better than adding something inbetween the posts & at odd spacings.  Also we don't have many tools so was initially thinking how to do the job with minimal equipment however I'm sure we can work out to borrow some tools from friends if needed.  The other issue is that the rails have some rotting in them so not confident in how secure they may be.  Our plan is to try lightly sand area's of fence & treat with wood hardener, fill any holes and then spray paint the fence (borrowed machine of friends).  And then add on some sort of fence extensions or decorative screens to block out neighbour (being at such close proximity). Cheers, Chris

ChrisM
Growing in Experience

Thanks again Jason.  Yes they're the matrix screens we're wanting to affix (rainforest style). :smile:  Cheers C

royq
Having an Impact

@ChrisM, so the existing posts are 2520 between? That's 95mm wider than the Matrix panel once you have the frame around it (https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-2425-x-1220-x-28mm-c-channel-frame-kit-charcoal-colorbond-night-s...). You could just extend the posts and screw a 45mm or 50mm timber to the post on each side then slide the panel in between?

Cheers, Roy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects