Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low profile deck

hadi
Growing in Experience

Low profile deck

IMG_0649.jpegHi all,

I've been planning to build a low profile deck for about 4 months now. Been trying to discover what's envolved and how  I can build it.

Currently we have a pavers in the backyard which I'm trying to convert a part of it to a deck and the rest will transform later to white pebbles and some big black tiles in between.

The issue I'm currently facing and need help to decide is: from the pavers to backyard window (which is the entrace to the backyard from the house) I have 14cm height only. 

So I have two options:

1- to remove the whole pavers from the backyard, dig a bit to open up some space which for me is a quite an effort and will take time to complete. (P.S: I'm a full time employee working in industry and this is my first deck to build. I'm quite handy and I've refloor our house [remove carpet and put luxury vinyl] )

2- Use the pedestal (https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-pedestal-foot-smallfoot-35-60mm_p2450074) and put the bearers and joist inline with eachother. 

So the deck I'm trying to build is 6 meters by 7 meters. I'm open to any ideas and help please.

If you need more information let me know as well.

I've just took out some of bricks and the underneath was a bit of sand and then concrete.

IMG_1043.jpegIMG_3554.jpegIMG_8613.jpegIMG_8878.jpeg

Re: Low profile deck

@Abhijit 

Most of the paving area was level with just a slight fall out from the door as expected for drainage. I used offcuts of the framing

timber at regular spaces where needed on top of the pavers beside the frame (not under) and brought the frame up to level then screwed the offcuts to the inside of the frame with the same bugle screws that hold the frame together. See image I tried to draw how it worked. Hope that helps.

Decking Frame Leveled on Pavers.jpg

Abhijit
Getting Established

Great! Thanks Stuardo. I think I understood this. I guess I will have to use this in some places. 

Regards,

Abhijit

Abhijit
Getting Established

Hi Jason,

The  paver surface is pretty sturdy and been around for years. So I am sure it will hold the frame firmly in place. I did consider removing the pavers but was apprehensive of what I may find and end up with much more work. But removing pavers is not completely out of plans yet. Will decide next week. Let me know if you think that's a better approach. Thanks.

Regards,

Abhijit

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @hadi,

Hope you are well.

As this has been an incredibly popular project this year I thought I'd check in to see if you could please share an update with us. 

Thanks,

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hadi
Growing in Experience

IMG_0648.jpegIMG_0649.jpegIMG_0621.jpeg57127797390__66D0E21C-4A3A-4B55-B94B-EE38C023B9F2.jpegIMG_0602.jpegIMG_0601.jpegIMG_0599.jpegHi, Sorry I've been busy with the born of my first child. Here some pics of finished deck. I've used the modular decking frame from bunnings and took some of the tiles to put the post in. And for the top used Merbau again from bunnings. Overall very satisfied with the outcome.

Thanks everyone who helped. Without this forum it was impossible.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow @hadi, sounds like double congratulations are in order. It's great you've finished the deck and what wonderful news that you've had your first child. We are so thrilled for you.

When you get a chance, can you please try adding those photos again? There was no images on your post. Please let me know if you need a hand with uploading them.

Many thanks,

Jason

hadi
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason, Sorry for delay. I've updated the post and added the photos. Hope you like them. Cheers, Hadi
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @hadi, congratulations. And a big congratulations on your birth of your first child - that's so exciting. What an amazing time it must be for you.

Thanks so much for coming back and sharing your completed deck, and for your kind words that the community assistance you received was invaluable. We're so pleased to hear it. 

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next!

Enjoy this special time with your family,

Jason

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

That is a beautiful deck @hadi and you should be proud of what you achieved. I hope you found the modules easy to work with and very sturdy when finished as I did. It seems Workshop is helping deck Australia one yard at a time. Congrats on your new child as well.

Stuart

Great looking deck there @hadi .

I'm looking at doing something similar myself. Just want to know if you used dynabolts to secure the bearers to your house or did you just leave it free-standing?
Cheers mate,

Smithy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects