Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low level deck against brick house

Marc86
Getting Established

Low level deck against brick house

20200503_132953.jpg

20200503_133854.jpg

Hi All,

Have just found this forum and have read up on a lot of good tips from low level decking posts which was great. I'm looking at replacing our alfresco area with Eko decking and understand i need to do some excavation to ensure 200mm gap between the ground and h3 bearers. I want to have a step down onto the grass which will have a decking face, will this be ok with H3 as the backing? Ive included a sketch with materials and measurements I'm planning to use but need a little help on how to attach the bearers to the house. On one side it's the ends of the bearers and then the other I need to install a bearer lengthways against the house and the end of it. Any help would be much appreciated. The joists will be hanging joists.

Thanks in advance

Marc86
Getting Established

Re: Low level deck against brick house

Thanks for taking the time to respond Brad and sorry for the barrage of questions. Is it ok to keep the 1.5 spaces with these and what would you recommend for fastening to the wall?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

* I will stain the steps I am making for a customer...

Type of decking should give you the spacing you need brackets shouldn't change that.

I am old school so dyna bolts for me, the youngsters like chemset fixing.

I would avoid having your long bearer tight against the wall as water can get trapped, Pete has posted his way before on how he does it, if your using a bracket you could set the bearer back a little so most of the water will drain off.

Marc86
Getting Established

Thanks again Brad, ordering everything now will post a pic when done!

Marc86
Getting Established

Have you used ankascrews before? The bricks are wired bricks and worried about cracking from dynabolts.. ankascrews seem like they might be ok but unsure

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects