Workshop
Ask a question

How to mosaic the top of these stands?

Shelby
Cultivating a Following

How to mosaic the top of these stands?

Heya, I'm a first time poster so go easy on me :wink: :hysterical: Anyways, I've got these 2 little side stand thingos and I'm going to buy these Mosaic tiles from Bunnings   I'm pretty clueless on how best to do it though as I've never mosaic'd anything in my life... 

They'll just be under the new entertainment area and I'm going with those colours to create a pattern that goes with the blue cushions I have from Bunnings. So don't need it to be fully weather proof. Could I stick them onto a little piece of MDF cut to size?

I'll go have some quality time with a Bunnings store soon for more inspo, but it's an hours drive to a decent one so I kind of need a whole spare day haha. IMG_4542.JPGThanks in advance for any tips or ideas! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Looking for help to Mosaic the top of little stands

Hi again @Shelby,

To kick off the discussion, let me tag a couple of Workshop members who are passionate about creating mosaic pieces but haven't been on the site for a while - @CharlieG and @Mammasalt. Hopefully they can provide some advice for you on getting started with your project. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mammasalt
Building a Reputation

SEALER!!! Seal it all!!! But it sounds like your in the right track. If your using the little glass tiles just use a clear wood to glass glue on MDF but seal it, sea the wood, seal your mosaic once your done
Shelby
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much @Mammasalt I appreciate your advice! I'll add that to the list and get shopping soon I hope!! It should be fun!! 

Mammasalt
Building a Reputation

How is your project going?

Julieg9426
Having an Impact

I look forward to progress photos!

Ezzy
Building a Reputation

The right hand side of this table looks as though there is still glass here. If that is the case the tiles can be glued directly to the glass without any preparation WELD BOND, available @ Bunnings iin the Adhesive section. This is recommended by my Mosaics Instructor & is most commonly used & recommended. I have been using this product now for more than 4 years with no problems. You may wish to put some into a smaller refillable bottle for continued use, as l have done.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ezzy. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

That's a great suggestion on using Weldbond to glue tiles to glass, and I trust @Shelby appreciates your input. It sounds like Weldbond sticks to a multitude of different surfaces and would be a suitable adhesive for a timber substrate as well. I might need to pick some up as Weldbold sounds much more versatile than standard PVA glue.

We have a thriving mosaicing community here on Workshop, with many of our members getting into it for the first time. I trust your knowledge will be immensely appreciated. It would also be wonderful if you'd like to share a project with us. I look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members contribute their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ezzy
Building a Reputation

Thankyou for your kind words Mitchell. I believe this is a better product for its durability & holding strength. I have never made a price comparison with PVA but would suggest this may be a little more expensive but worth it.

A piece entered into the Open Day last year @ the location where l mosaic, sold. This was in a picture frame complete with glass bought from Good Samies. Tiles were glued directly onto the glass.

Will post a finished project photo as requested & am very pleased to be a member of this great community.

MitchellMc_0-1619760350345.pngMitchellMc_1-1619760365319.pngMitchellMc_2-1619760424559.png

MitchellMc_3-1619760508258.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects