Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Landscaping - 3 Tier Decking

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Landscaping - 3 Tier Decking

The backyard hasn't had a lot of TLC since we moved in and I've finally procured all my timber and tools and finalised the design as well. Cheers to the inspo from others in the workshop. I'm also using the Good times modular decking frame etc but cutting my own boards.

Original design 

20200330_141236.jpg

20200402_150120.jpg

Final design

20200409_090519.jpg

This is the space im working with.

Let's see how we go !

Frames went together relatively well. Had to shorten some but I worked this into a design feature. 

20200409_152109.jpg

20200410_133947.jpg

First time getting hands on with my brand new circular saw. Quickly got the hang of it.

20200412_162206.jpg

Getting towards the end.

Unfortunately used the wrong screws (frame screws not deck screws) for the walkway. Thanks to the bunnings screw for helping out before I started the main deck. Still need to figure how I'll deal with the walkway screw issue.

Easter Monday progress 

20200413_180257.jpg

20200413_180206.jpg

20200413_184505.jpg

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Landscaping - 3 Tier Decking

Wow, your plans look brilliant @diy_hausdesigns. We're so excited for you and are really looking forward to seeing how you can transform this space.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with anything, and please provide regular updates on your progress so the community can follow along and provide any suggestions and advice they can.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Looking forward to seeing this one done. Great design!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@diy_hausdesigns  Wow that looks fantastic! What a great job and should definately feel proud of your achievement. 
It’s easy to be overwhelmed with large projects but it also makes it more satisfying once completed. 

Thank you and you are absolutely right! I'm excited to get it done and tick this one off the list! 

----

@Jason 

Hi Jason.

I was hoping to get a bit of help from you. I've decided to install some artificial turf as part of this landscape design. 

From the research I've done. I need to get my levels right which include a base and then another material after that before I install the turf. Could you assist me with exactly what materials go below the turf ?

Also in terms of compacting, would manual compacting do the trick or ideally a compactor? It's a low traffic area of that helps.

----

@diy_hausdesigns 

The wonderful @ProjectPete has lots of experience with artificial turf. I'm sure he would be happy to share his thoughts on materials to use and the level of compaction needed. 

Have you seen the Bunnings step-by-step D.I.Y. advice How to lay synthetic turf? It should answer your questions, but feel free to come back with specific questions about your installation anytime. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason 

I appreciate your help. I've had a look at the video however it's more about the actual laying of the turf.

@ProjectPete . Would you be able to help with what material i require for the base. I've been reading around and 'road base' is mentioned a few times. And then another layer of another material is required.

----

Hi @diy_hausdesigns 

You need 70mm of compacted (with a proper compactor) crackerdust, then grass on that, then spread fine white sand on the top and you're done.

You need to consider the direction your grass is facing when you lay it. The blades naturally point in a certain direction - you should lay the gras so that the blades are pointing toward the main area (viewing point) of the backyard. 

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks @ProjectPete 

Sounds good! I'll get onto it 👍

Cheers again.

----

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects