Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for your next barbecue

MoonshineBen
Making a Splash

Ideas for your next barbecue

Hey all - what is everyone cooking up this weekend? I'm thinking it's ribs, probably pork, although lamb ribs are pretty on point to smoke at the moment.

What's on your grill or smoker?

Workshop_Ben-Shute_Moonshine-BBQ_JOW-160914-8214.jpg

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What's everyone cooking this weekend?

@MoonshineBen,

We had birthday celebrations at our place yesterday so I got up nice and early to get a 3kg-plus brisket flat on the barbecue. 

I think it was my best effort yet. Good bark and very tender. I need to improve my slicing and presenting skills, but you can get an idea from the pictures below. First shot is what we served, second shot what was still leftover...

I would still like to have the meat a bit more moist like I have seen in some American barbecue videos. I'm not sure if my foil wrapping technique is sub-par and I'm losing some moisture or whether I should give injecting beef stock a try. 

Hope all is well,

Jason 

Brisket1.jpgbrisket2.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

We had friends over last Friday night for a BBQ dinner. I put together these super easy chicken skewers and they were really delicious - pesto chicken with haloumi cheese and cherry tomatoes! IMG20180406184128.png

@Jason looks sensational! I wouldn't worry about injecting if it's not super moist, most of us only ever do that for competition to add the flavour kick. You can try boating rather than a full wrap and see if that works. Basically at about 165F, put a double layer of foil under it and bring it up around the sides. You can add a little stock into the boat as well and just leave it like that in the smoker. Also, leave a bit more of the fat on and put the fat side on the hottest side of where you're smoking (usually depends on where the flame is).

Many thanks for the tips @MoonshineBen. I'll try boating next time. 

I had leftovers for lunch yesterday and am looking forward to it again today. So delicious! 

What have you been cooking lately?

Jason

aly
Making a Splash

We had friends over on Saturday and decided to cook up some burgers for a quick, easy dinner. One of our guests was vegan so I tried Jamie Oliver's vegan burgers which were basically chickpeas, corn and some herbs and spices. They actually turned out quite well - a little moist in the middle but overall worked out fine. For those that weren't vegan, I made some spicy pork patties which included ginger, sambal oelek (chilli paste) and fish sauce. The pork patties were a hit. Here was our DIY burger spread...

vegan burgers.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I liked the look of this Italian Roast Pork Shoulder recipe that @MoonshineBen shared recently, so gave it a crack yesterday. It was delicious.

I should have watched the video again before the cook though, as I didn't open up the foil when I removed the pork from the barbecue for resting. I probably overcooked it a little, it wasn't as easy to slice as in the video - it was getting close to being able to be pulled. It was so tender and yummy though, especially covered in the vinaigrette/cooking juices that you can see in the foil below. 

Jason 

Italian-style roast pork shoulder after restingItalian-style roast pork shoulder after resting

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How did Meatstock go for you @MoonshineBen? It would be great to see some photos of your cook.

Hope all is well.

Jason

Had a fun cook yesterday and tried a couple of new cuts and recipes. 

Cooked beef cheeks following this recipe from @MoonshineBen with a braise from a bottle of James Squires Jack of Spades Porter. The cheeks were fantastic! So succulent and tender. Will definitely be doing them again. 

Also tried some beef short ribs. Was also happy with them, but felt they weren't as moist as I would have liked. Any tips @MoonshineBen? I wrapped them in foil at about the 5 hour mark when they were about 75C but maybe should have done it earlier? 

Also had an entree of jalapeno poppers with what I assume is the last harvest of the season considering it's getting pretty chilly down here. Most of them were perfect for the family in terms of heat but I had one that made my lips melt. Way too hot for me! I imagine my chilli growing friend @bergs would have said it was still mild though!

Jason

Glad to hear the cheeks were awesome!

So I never usually wrap beef ribs. Just keep them going at 250-275 and they're done when they probe like butter. 75c is technically done (about 165F), but you'll want them to go until they are about 97c (205F). The fat will have rendered which will create moisture.

Thanks @MoonshineBen

Cooking the two together probably wasn't the best idea as once I had the cheeks in the braise I had to keep opening the barbecue to turn them, so it slowed down the cooking of the ribs and I had to wrap them to try to quicken up their cooking time. They were 95c when I pulled them out. 

Anyway, was fun to give a couple of new things a try. Thanks for the recipes and tips!

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects