Workshop
Ask a question

Ideas for fencing a front verandah

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

Ideas for fencing a front verandah

I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, help.  I've done a fair bit of DIY during my life but don't claim to have any great skills or knowledge in the area so I need something simple, easy and as cheap as possible because I live on a pension below the poverty line.

I have a house on a sloping block

The front verandah is around 1200 - 1500mm from the ground level

There are semcircular steps up to the verandah that are next to the front door which is at right angles to the verandah

Parallel with the verandah is a large sliding glass door to which I'd like to retain access because it is the only way to get large pieces of furniture into or out of the house

I have a dog and like to sit out there with him but can't do so because there is no railing to prevent him from jumping down and getting into the street and onto the road.

So, I need to:

* Create a fence or barrier along the front of the verandah to stop the dog jumping off it or humans from falling

* Retain access to the front door at the top of the steps

* Retain access to the large glass door which is to the right of the steps and would be behind the fence

* Prevent access for the dog to the steps so that it can't just run along and down them and out onto the street

Semi-circular steps to front doorSemi-circular steps to front doorDSCN1004.jpgDSCN1009.jpgFront door cnr & larger windowFront door cnr & larger windowDSCN1007 2.jpgDSCN1006 2.jpgVerandah & slope of groundVerandah & slope of groundLarge door to which access needs to be retained but wich also needs to be fenced as part of the verandhaLarge door to which access needs to be retained but wich also needs to be fenced as part of the verandhaDSCN1012.jpgDSCN1003 2.jpgDSCN1004 2.jpgDSCN1011.jpgDSCN1012 2.jpgDSCN1005 2.jpgLeft hand end of verandahLeft hand end of verandahDSCN1007.jpgRight hand end of verandahRight hand end of verandah

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ideas for fencing a raised front verandah but retaining 2-way access

I find gates and doors that swing onto steps is a bit of a pain, my back screen door has that problem.

Re: Ideas for fencing a raised front verandah but retaining 2-way access

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing a suggestion @Madfindlay. Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're pleased that you could join us and hope you get plenty of helpful information and inspiration for your projects from Workshop members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Slinky
Just Starting Out

Re: Ideas for fencing a front verandah

Given you’re elderly Id suggest a handrail and retro style metal verandah rail . Personally I wouldn’t obstruct access with a gate , I would fence the yard creating greater personal safety for yourself as well .  Add a good security light and camera system to further deter intruders.  See if your local Lions Club can help you out. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for fencing a front verandah

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Bunnings Workshop @Slinky. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your own plans and projects. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with the rest of the community, and trust you'll get plenty of advice and inspiration in return. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects