Workshop
Ask a question

Ideas for fencing a front verandah

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

Ideas for fencing a front verandah

I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, help.  I've done a fair bit of DIY during my life but don't claim to have any great skills or knowledge in the area so I need something simple, easy and as cheap as possible because I live on a pension below the poverty line.

I have a house on a sloping block

The front verandah is around 1200 - 1500mm from the ground level

There are semcircular steps up to the verandah that are next to the front door which is at right angles to the verandah

Parallel with the verandah is a large sliding glass door to which I'd like to retain access because it is the only way to get large pieces of furniture into or out of the house

I have a dog and like to sit out there with him but can't do so because there is no railing to prevent him from jumping down and getting into the street and onto the road.

So, I need to:

* Create a fence or barrier along the front of the verandah to stop the dog jumping off it or humans from falling

* Retain access to the front door at the top of the steps

* Retain access to the large glass door which is to the right of the steps and would be behind the fence

* Prevent access for the dog to the steps so that it can't just run along and down them and out onto the street

Semi-circular steps to front doorSemi-circular steps to front doorDSCN1004.jpgDSCN1009.jpgFront door cnr & larger windowFront door cnr & larger windowDSCN1007 2.jpgDSCN1006 2.jpgVerandah & slope of groundVerandah & slope of groundLarge door to which access needs to be retained but wich also needs to be fenced as part of the verandhaLarge door to which access needs to be retained but wich also needs to be fenced as part of the verandhaDSCN1012.jpgDSCN1003 2.jpgDSCN1004 2.jpgDSCN1011.jpgDSCN1012 2.jpgDSCN1005 2.jpgLeft hand end of verandahLeft hand end of verandahDSCN1007.jpgRight hand end of verandahRight hand end of verandah

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for fencing a raised front verandah but retaining 2-way access

Looks like a worthwhile project @nonsibicunctis. I'm sure our community members will be able to provide some helpful suggestions about how to proceed.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased you could join us and trust that you will receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration from our community members in the future. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any suggestions about how we can make Workshop more useful to you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

First thought is with your front door open how much clearance do you have to the sliding door? By eye it looks like it would be close to level with it when it is at it's widest point.

Second thought is that having a gate to get to your front door can be annoying but making it easier to use the steps to get to the sliding door will be a trade off.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@nonsibicunctis

Could you look at a front fence instead?

#kermit idea of a front fence from the ground up covering the wall then at least 1200 high from the highest floor level. Or using alloy fencing across your veranda, quick and easy to install and should only take a couple of sections, you can normally get them in 1800 and 2400 long sections. Not the prettiest but cheap and simple all round . I'd finish it off with a small hand rail down the center of the steps.

Thanks for your response, Kermit.

I have considered fencing all round but my problem with it is that it contradicts the notion we had for the house and garden and what we've done so far.

We are very much into nature and valuing indigenous plants and wildlife.  When we found the property, the front garden was a formal one with mainly exotic plants.  It was divided by a concrete footpath running down the centre.  The plqnts were all in beds around the edges which were contained by concrete border and then the centres of the two halfs were just grass.  There was a sort of front fence made of brick columns and chain. [See photo]

I took out all the exotics and pulled up the path and all the concrete edging so that, with the exception of a few natives I kept, we had a blank slate.  We then planted natives and mulched, as well as creating a new bendy path which we gravelled and which led to the front of the house in a more natural way and was framed by two trees were it met the conrete in front of the verandah.  There is no footpath on our side of the street and on the opposite side of the road is a golf club.  So we thought it would be good to allow our garden to flow into the nature strip and also not to have anything blocking the view across to the golf course.

If I was to fence, we would lose this view and also I'd have to fence on three sides and put in both a pedestrian gate and a  vehicle gate to the drive.

It may still be the only option, given financial considerations and my limited abilites but I thought I'd try and pick the brains of more skilled people before I made a decision.  I think you can probably see why I'm reticent to fence all around though!

Still, I thank you for being interested enough to give your time to making a suggestion.  :smile:As it was when we cameAs it was when we camethe garden bedscentthe garden bedscentCentral path & leftCentral path & leftCentral path & rightCentral path & rightJust after we altered itJust after we altered itPath between trees at house endPath between trees at house end

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

Brad, the front door opens inwards so there is only the screen door to worry about.  You are right, however, that if I open the screen door so that it's at 90 degrees to the doorway,  then it would be virtually parallel (around 6") away from the end of the large window/door.

You seem to be suggesting just fencing all along the front edge of the verandah and putting a gate at the top of the steps and not having wide access to the big window/door.  I did think that if I did that I might be able to have a 'take-out' or 'swing-out' section of railing/fencing opposite the wide door that could be removed or opened when necessary.  It wouldn't be too inconvenient because it would only be needed very occasionally.

What bothered me about this idea was attempting to put a gate at the top of the steps and whether it ought to be in two halves or just one piece, and if one piece, which side to hinge it.

Thanks for your suggestions, I do appeciate your time and effort to sent them.

Yes, I'd meant to mention a hand-rail, I think I need that.  Again I wasn't sure whether to put it to one side or another or down the centre as you suggest.  I think the centre or the side farthest from the front door would be best.

The alloy fencing sounds o.k. so I'll check that out with Stratco and Bunnings.  I'm not sure whether you meant solid sheeting or railings but I'd probably go for railings so that the view is unobstructed but I may be wrong there.  Not sure.

Thanks for your suggestions - they've given me more ideas to think about and check out.  Much appreciated.

Thanks for sharing such great photos @nonsibicunctis. They really help other members get a good idea of what you are working with and provide more helpful suggestions. 

Looks like a lovely place to live. :smile:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Madfindlay
Just Starting Out

Star pickets counter sunk onto the concreet and barb wire no need for peggs or washing line butt still giving u the sence if security with full acess to ur slider 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects