Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for deadside of house

Grant-noclue
Just Starting Out

Ideas for deadside of house

Hey guys, 

So my wife has tasked me with doing something down the "dead" side of the house. It's 2m in width and roughly 20m in length also is no where near level. Lots of lovely clay.

To be honest I'm not sure what to do. I suggested a pergola to try and stop some of the amazing summer sun that beats down on that side of the house. However Mrs grant-no clue isn't a fan, she wants to concrete down the side but I'm unsure about that due to the price.

I was more thinking crushed rock with screening plants to hide the amazing fence and hopefully they'll grow to provide some protection from the sun. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance :smile: 

Grant-noclue

IMG_20200918_135748.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas for deadside of house

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Grant-noclue. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You'll find plenty of inspiration within the community to get the ideas flowing. Some great projects include-

Please let us know if any of the ideas mentioned in those discussions seemed interesting. Once you have established some key elements you want to be involved then you can start putting a plan together of where they will go.

We look forward to hearing more about your plans and assisting with any questions you might have along the way.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ari
Having an Impact

Re: Ideas for deadside of house

@Grant-noclue I just moved out of a well designed house that had done a great job of this. I'll attempt to convey it below as I don't have pics.

1. Poison the grass

2. Black plastic down to stop the weeds

3. Square pavers down the middle. Could space them out a bit more than this picture to save some $.  

4. I'd suggest laying 3m x 3m of the pavers under the washing line, but not essential.

5. To get some greenery without bothering with a garden bed, put an outdoor planter like the ones below against each fence panel.  Plants to suit your budget and weather.  Ours were just cheap tall mondo grass and they looked good.

6. Gravel around the pavers and planters.

You could spray the fence charcoal if you were really keen.

side.PNGplanter.PNG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects