Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop cats climbing fences

isomelb
Finding My Feet

How to stop cats climbing fences

Hi All, 

Any advice to stop cats from climbing fences? 

There's devices to put on fences that roll, to stop cats climbing but these are expensive. My cat doesn't like things around his neck, so I don't want a collar that links up to a cat electronic deterrent contraption. There's also sprays to spray onto fence that act as a deterrent, but I'm concerned that these just wash off with the rain. I'm more interested in finding out whether spikes on fences to deter birds, do the trick and then which ones work better - plastic, metal, long, short? 

Thanks

mickworth
Finding My Feet

Re: How to stop cats climbing fences

Hi there,

We purchased a product from outside of Bunnings and it works a treat.

I would totally recommend it as it has been great.

I just added it to the top of my timber fence

Untitled 5.pngcat.png

.http://www.sureguard.com.au/ 

Thanks

Mick

scott2
Finding My Feet

For all you Guy's out there who want to keep Cat's - Rodents - Possums & Bird's. From using too if fences for access. This works 'Extremley' Well up under Pergolas. Nobody wants to see those unsitley Bird spikes 😂😂

You will need either 'Nails' or 'Screws' & Some clear Fishing line. Screw or nail to top at one End & every metre or 2 Add another Screw or Nail. Tie one end of the fishing line & what you want to do is keep it tight. Hence Metre intervals. Have found having X2 line's is better. One lower/Staggered then the other fishing line. Birds can't land Cat's & Rodents hate it. In & under a Pergola you want really even see the fishing line at all. Paint the screw's or Nails to match colour of pergola frame. Bird Spikes or Netting Expensive & Very Very unsitley. Can't beat this Cheap & almost invisible solution. Let me know how you guys get on ✌️

BuzzDIY
Just Starting Out

Hi Isomelb,

Im a handyman and have installed several Cat Proof Fences from a company called Oscillot. They’re a spinning paddle type of system that is installed on top of fences. 

Their minimum recommended fence height is 180cm. Installation is straight forward. I did a 30 metre installation in Hampton, VIC last week which took me less than 2 hours. The whole thing cost less than $1000 and had pretty good warranty with it and guarantee of it working or money back.

Their reviews online are worth a look. Their website is www.oscillot.com.au

I hope this is of use.

Cheers,

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @BuzzDIY

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for joining in the discussion. We're pleased to have you join us. As a handyman, you obviously have a lot of experience and knowledge to share with other members, so we're looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Chester65
Finding My Feet

No one appears to know at all how to stop our cats from jumping over the fence, that 'oscillot paddle' for fences is way too expensive and it makes lots of noise I watched the videos, and also it brings more attention over the fence to the dogs next door.

No handyman I have had yet, knows how to put up a side gate so my cats can sunbathe in the pebble garden full of trees and play.

I've only had advice to put a bird cage up and imprison the cats, this is more like a zoo then to torture animals and deprive them of what they love doing and that is to roam around, sunbathe and explore and play.

By netting up ones' whole backyard, is highly dangerous to birds, the cats legs can break and get injured, you deprive the eco-system of doing what its meant to be doing for your grass, flowers, trees, garden.  Cat Net Enclosures are only out there for the money those who are very rich can afford these to be built around their entire back and front yards.

Basically, get a pvc tube and put it ontop the fence anything slippery, youtube, it, stay away from the cat nets they are not cat friendly products, aim for the cat safe and cat friendly fence deterrents.  No one at Bunnings will help you, they just sell bird cages for 'cats' that won't help your cats that will only imprison your cat and make them suffer, cats are creatures of comfort, they like to be free to roam, they love to sunbathe, scratch on wood and climb trees, those who confine their cats in cages should not even own cats in the first place. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Chester65. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

It sounds like you've got a great deal of experience with keeping cats inside your backyard, and I trust our members appreciate the hot tip about placing PVC pipe on top of your fence. That sounds like a fantastic idea!

Reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the house or garden, as our helpful and knowledgeable members are always willing to lend a hand.

Mitchell

knocked up in two days, panels can be removed in minutes, cats will always get out and cause havoc, keep them locked up, they are not feral :smile: 
312326389_3247422852183349_1627433724081393904_n.jpg312446827_3247422738850027_6143602653246571938_n.jpg312573761_3248473832078251_4357175746934744969_n.jpg

This is such a great project @TheSaltyreefer. Your kitties look happy being able to observe the world from a safe place. I am sure the birds are happy about it too. From memory I thought you only had 2 ragdolls and 1 main coon but I am seeing 4 gorgeous cats hanging out in their sun room, who is the new addition? 

Katie

Kitties are very happy and so is our native wildlife, they spend 90% of the day\night in there, going to be putting a kitty door in shortly, we have added another little Seal Point ragdoll, couldn't resist my fav colour.

The enclosure gets Sun\Shade and is currently getting fitted out with a few benches, scratch poles, and some fun little exercise items.
Perfect environment for a Domesticated Kitty to enjoy life without the issues of being hit by a car or causing neighbors grief etc

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects