Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove stains from a crushed aggregate driveway

Kim
Having an Impact

How to remove stains from a crushed aggregate driveway

I recently discovered this simple way to remove stains from my crushed aggregate driveway.  I'm not sure what type of stone they are, but the orange stones would 'bleed' and create blotches of small but noticeable brown stains all over the driveway. 

Here are my tips for removing the stains - the driveway looks much better now!

Original stain - unsightly!

FullSizeRender 1.jpg

You'll need some hydrochloric acid and a dropper.  It's nasty stuff so be sure to work safely and wear appropriate protective gear.  Gloves, mask and safety glasses for me.  I pour a small amount into an appropriate, stable container and use the dropper more safely that way. I also ensure it is stored safely and can't be accessed by children etc.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Just a few drops on each stain, and the stain turns to a green colour and begins to run.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Repeat for all stains across the drive - it creates quite an artistic look!

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

After a few minutes simply hose off well and the driveway is now stain free.  Much better!

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

I found this advice really helpful - hope it helps somebody else in the Workshop community!  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove stains from a crushed aggregate driveway

Great tip! Many thanks for sharing @Kim.

I'm keen to hear other tips from the Workshop community for removing stains from paths and driveways. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adao1978
Just Starting Out

Is hydrochicric acid a permanent fix? Will it affect a sealant?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Adao1978

It's been a while since @Kim shared this tip and has contributed to the community, so I'll make sure @MitchellMc assists you on your other post when he is back on the site tomorrow. Apologies for the delay in the meantime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects