Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish ground around new deck?

jays2007
Growing in Experience

How to finish ground around new deck?

525BCEBC-BFF5-4AC5-896B-CA40387FCECE.jpeg

0C23FFE0-D7C6-4D05-AC31-A486E0EE226B.jpeg

  

46B0E4B2-A84D-4FB0-87FC-FD5669D3D4E5.jpeg

7F17D356-6E1C-4516-8606-DC646EE2D8FF.jpeg

  

Almost completed our Ekodeck ground level deck. Will have a ekodeck plank surrounding sides aswell. Once complete not sure what we should do with finishing the soil around the deck.

any suggestions? Should we leave a gap between deck and soil, fill in or?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: finish ground around deck

Looking great @jays2007, well done. Looking forward to seeing it finished. 

Let me tag a few helpful members who might be able to share their thoughts with you: @Adam_W, @ProjectPete, @Stuardo, @JRRed

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to finish ground around new deck?

Nice work @jays2007 

I always use/recommend H4 200x50mm sleepers for the outside frame of the deck as it can be in contact with the soil so you don't have to worry about moisture and it's it's h of 200mm ask as a solid barrier to hold soul, pebbles, etc in place.

The alternative, which applies to you having used H3 timber is to simple coat it in a waterproof membrane such as the Crommelins product designed for garden beds (no-low toxins). Once applied liberally, your soil can come right up to it.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Hi @jays2007  the deck looks great.

I suppose what you do around the deck depends on the aesthetic you are going for and how it links to the landscape of the rest of the yard and how you will use it. Frame the edge in pebbles or timber or garden or lawn? If you have the lawn right up to the edge then you should think of what happens when you trim it, (be careful with the whipper snipper). I would be googling images to get some inspiration and ideas myself. Whatever you do you have that additional deck space now to enjoy.

Stuart.

jays2007
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the advise. I will look at coating the H3 timber then.

jays2007
Growing in Experience

Thanks that’s the dilemma now, what would work best. Thanks 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is it going @jays2007? It would be great to see an update to your deck if you've made progress. Otherwise, feel free to post if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects