Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber deck

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

How to build a timber deck

A few members have asked specific questions about Timber Decks

I hope these additional resources and tools provide useful information in your endeavour

I can provide the following

• A 3D Model that you can edit/modify as you wish in Sketchup (Free software)
  • A PDF of attached image with hyperlinks to the Bunnings price list and to other useful online resources to help you Design, Engineer & Construct (DEC) you project
  • Google sheets, for quantifying & pricing the timber deck
  • Project planning Apps & Tools

Please post back or leave a PM if you require more specific project tools

Engineering Decking.jpg

Others (To follow) In the Timber Deck Series 

DIY Sceening your Deck

DIY Roofing & Ceiling Your Deck

DIY  Indoor/Outdoor Living (Partial Enclosures)

Please let me know if there is anything else you may want added

Happy 2018

Cheers

Chris

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: DIY Timber Deck Series

@Gezza
Not all items are stocked by Bunnings , but they can be specially ordered
Concrete stumps are also easy to make yourself
You'll need some ply form, 6 mm galv rod reinforcement, 12mm Threaded rod and ready mixed bagged concrete
Alternatively, if you are going to use timber posts you will require Stirrups, Straps or pryda brackets
hth

Hi @Pauldougie,

Just wanted to extend an overdue thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your knowledge. It's great to have you as part of the Workshop community and we look forward to reading more about your own projects and plans. 

Please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the Workshop site, or have any feedback about how we might improve the site for you. 

Welcome,

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GBrown
Finding My Feet

Re: How to build a timber deck

Are there span tables for joists and bearers available for decks below 1m height

iamweilu
Just Starting Out

I am planning to build a deck, and would like to have a look of your tools and plan.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @GBrown and @iamweilu,

Unfortunately the creator of this discussion thread is no longer a member of the community. I would recommend you create a new discussion thread and ask your deck questions in as much detail as possible. We have many experienced and knowledgeable members of the community who I'm sure would be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Jason

HarveyB
Just Starting Out

Dear All, I’m also interested in tables for a deck below one metre high and bracing details.

currently planning one approx 800high. Struggled to find suitable concrete stumps as per Bunnings guide then found out minimum concrete stump size in QLD is 200 x 200. Haven’t got my own Franna so that’s not gunna work lol.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HarveyB. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

Span tables, specifications and relevant standards for your deck can be found in the Building Code of Australia. You might find snippets of the BCA on the relevant supplier websites for the products you are using on your deck. Building product suppliers often include specifications as a guide when purchasing their materials.

I'd encourage you to start your own discussion with as much detail as possible, that way our helpful members can assist with any specific questions you had on the deck.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and can't wait to see you get started.

Mitchell

@BIM_Engineer Any chance of getting a copy of the : DIY Timber Deck Series for use in Sketchup.

thanks

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AdrianKrasnoff. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, the creator of this discussion thread is no longer a member of the community. I would encourage you to create a new discussion about your deck project so our members can assist. There are plenty of knowledgeable members within the community who would be more than happy to lend a hand.

Thanks,

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects