Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber deck

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

How to build a timber deck

A few members have asked specific questions about Timber Decks

I hope these additional resources and tools provide useful information in your endeavour

I can provide the following

• A 3D Model that you can edit/modify as you wish in Sketchup (Free software)
  • A PDF of attached image with hyperlinks to the Bunnings price list and to other useful online resources to help you Design, Engineer & Construct (DEC) you project
  • Google sheets, for quantifying & pricing the timber deck
  • Project planning Apps & Tools

Please post back or leave a PM if you require more specific project tools

Engineering Decking.jpg

Others (To follow) In the Timber Deck Series 

DIY Sceening your Deck

DIY Roofing & Ceiling Your Deck

DIY  Indoor/Outdoor Living (Partial Enclosures)

Please let me know if there is anything else you may want added

Happy 2018

Cheers

Chris

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY Timber Deck Series

Hi @Wally102,

Welcome to Workshop. This looks like a great project and I'm sure community members like @BIM_Engineer will be happy to assist you as they return from holidays. 

Feel free post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. I see you've also posted about how to reconfigure a sliding door, I'm sure members will be happy to help with that one soon too. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hey @Wally102
I've come across a few projects of late where DIYers have asked similar questions
and I recon there would be 1000's of renos Alfresco Upgrades that may benefit
Here are some of the issues
-The deck (Floor+Joist+bracket) has to configure within 1 or 2 course Slab Drop off ie 86mm or 172 Respectively
- Since most slabs aren't necessarily level the brackets would need to be adjustable (One size fits all), robust and simple to place and fix
- Also adjust-ability would be a bonus if timber shrinks warps, bows etc.
I'll see if i can locate something suitable off the shelf or which may need slight modifying and post back
@JasonThis would be something that Bunnings should look into
Currently Stirrups would be an overkill and Shims/packers don't fix/attach properly,etc,etc
Cheers

Thanks Bim,

I have searched but have to no avail found anything that could prop up the joists with such little clearance hence why I went with the plastic window packers!

but will be interested if you find something.

Cheers Wally

KalahariOzzie
Getting Established

Re: How to build a timber deck

I have a council sewer running through the area I wish to build a deck. Although the deck will be on posts, they are not keep to ‘build over sewer’, but cantilever is ok.

can I cantilever woodedn beams 3 metres? 

@KalahariOzzie
Generally Water Authorities will require engineering Piling details to be submitted with plans, Engineer Certified and approved
before works can commence
Things to consider, Soil Type (angle of repose), Pad Footings, Pipe Invert level (Depth), Size of the pipe?,etc along with Steel Posts, Beam  & Cantilever design? hth

Hi, I’m interested to follow the info for Wally102 as we have a similiar type back patio area and I’m looking into putting decking over the top. If BIM_Engineer can also tag me in what you recommend for Wally102 that would be awesome!
Thank you very much 🙂
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @Tanika 

You may wish to consider using a Top Hat Section

Further points to consider

1.Thicker base metal

2.Galv Coating Thickness

3. Wider lip for fixing

4.Slope of slab to avoid water ponding beneath decking

5. Environmental conditions, if Coastal-> Corrosion->Life span

6. Section spacing is dependant on deck type, thickness, material & Loads

OT, It would have been easier & cost effective if the builder  dropped the slab another course ( then options would have increased),

The best time to negotiate this & all structural/critical components is before you sign the contract, It's not like you can whip down to Bunnings and change the  door handles after hand over, unfortunately now you are left worse off with limited options

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tanika,

Great to see you join in the discussion and see you receive a prompt reply from Chris. We look forward to seeing how your outdoor project progresses. 

Welcome to the community. I'm sure you'll receive plenty of helpful information, inspiration and advice for this project as well as many others to come. Our members are very helpful. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Bunnings have two types of adjustable deck feet which are perfect for use on uneven concrete. Called Eurotec Smallfoot they come in two sizes. Simply nail screw/your joists to them and put the decking on top.

image.jpg

Gezza87
Cultivating a Following

This thread has been very informative. I am looking at building a 3.6 x 4.1m freestanding deck so i watched the videos on Bunnings website on how to build a deck it seems they use concrete stumps with threads already on them, i like this idea but it seems Bunnings in W.A do not stock these, so what would my options be? Maybe something like this cut to size and concreted in? https://www.bunnings.com.au/100-x-100mm-3-0m-f7-h4-treated-pine-post_p0050067    Also how would i join it to the bearers? with straps maybe?  Thanks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects