Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a diy kids friendly nice fish pond on a small budget

taha
Finding My Feet

How to build a diy kids friendly nice fish pond on a small budget

New here in Melbourne ,travelled from overseas .

Instantly fell in love with Bunnings

Want to build a nice fish pond but no idea where to start. Also budget is very limited.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a diy kids friendly nice fish pond on a small budget

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @taha. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

The most budget-friendly option would be to create an inground pond using Aquapro 3 x 2m x 0.35mm PVC Pond Liner. The next best, with significantly less effort, would be to use a poly pond insert similar to the Aquapro 113L Coquetdale Preformed Poly Pond. I was lucky enough to find a D.I.Y. video on How to create your very own water feature which I trust you'll find useful. The presenter appears very knowledgable on the subject. @Adam_W

This size pond would be suitable for a couple of goldfish, but I certainly wouldn't want to over-load it with many more. For the safety of children, I would always recommend using some Rapid Mesh 600 x 900mm 50 x 50mm Wire Mesh Panel to cover the pond.

If you were after a larger pond you could use the pond liner which will allow you to build a pond of your own design. This will, of course, involve digging down into the soil. 

As you won't be transferring water you don't need an overly large pond pump, though a water feature will be needed to create oxygenation in the water and prevents excessive amounts of mosquitos. Some suitable products would be an Aquapro No 1 Small Fountain Kit and an Aquapro Ap750lv Water Feature Pump.

Please let me know if you require further information or if you had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects