Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach Christmas lights to the roof?

AHoy
Having an Impact

How to attach Christmas lights to the roof?

I'm getting a bit of pressure from the kids to put up some Christmas lights this year. It's becoming a bigger thing in the neighbourhood. We have a terracotta tiled roof though so I'm not that keen to be up there for too long - I want something quick and easy. Keen to hear from those with experience about how best to attach some lights. Am also thinking a projector is a safe an easy addition.  

Ben
Making a Splash

Re: How to attach Christmas lights to the roof

I feel your pressure @AHoy.

Last year I ran the coloured rope lights across the front gutter of the house.

This year I'm going to use multiple lasers on the face of the house, and save the rope lights to layout along the lines of the roof.  I found these to be really helpful to manage the rope lights and should ensure minimum time up on the rooftop.  I use one every half a metre or so to keep the rope light lined up straight at all times.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/perma-products-large-cable-organiser-2-pack_p3950025

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Google "gutter hooks" and you should be sorted. No need to get up on the roof itself - just follow the lines of the guttering. Then projectors or laser lights on the house itself. 

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@AHoyWhat I do is make up some light gauge wire hooks long enough to tuck under your tiles and then wrap the wire around the light cable.  Works a treat and no damage.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you putting up lights again this year @AHoy?

Stay safe everyone if you are getting up a ladder and/or climbing onto the roof!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dazller96
Just Starting Out

How did you attach the to your roof. Did they just stick or did you slide it under the roof tile

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dazller96. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Could you take a picture of where you want to hang the lights? That will give us a better idea of what options might suit.

We have a range of clips and hooks that make hanging your festive lights a breeze. I trust you'll also find this guide helpful: How To Hang Festive Lights.

Products like the above Perma Products Large Cable Organiser 2 Pack and Cobra Small Wire Saddle have a self-adhesive backing so they simply stick on.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects