Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How thick should I lay my driveway gravel?

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

How thick should I lay my driveway gravel?

Hi everyone, I am just about to start laying gravel or blue rock straight over the top of compacted soil for our driveway.

I was wondering what suggestions the community have in how thick I should go?

It is relatively flat.

I was thinking 150mm thick but not sure?IMG_20190714_121626.jpg

Sambro
Growing in Experience

Re: How Thick Should I Lay My Driveway Gravel?

Ill contribute a little here, the people who owned or rented my house before I purchased it laid down recycled concrete in a reasonably large sized mix. It appears to be about 80 to about 100mm thick but its the worst thing as the rock pieces are sharp and nasty on the feet. It also suffers weeds taking hold in it at times. Blue metal and crusher type gravel works alright but you will have a lot of wash away depending on how much run-off you will have in the yard there. Have you given thought about using a wacker packer to compact the gravel down and alleviate (possibly) some of the afforementioned issues?

That's definitely a great suggestion that we will be putting into practice.

Our friend owns a drive in roller, so once the gravel is spread we will be compacting it.

Thank you very much for your suggestion 👍

Warm regards Rob 👍

Sambro
Growing in Experience

I plan on using mine as a part of some concrete works that need doing around the house. Have you thought about a slab instead? I suppose doing a slab that big is a decent ask of the bank account though. Hence Ill have to do mine myself 😕

The plan is exposed aggregate with a colour mix in about a year. The plan 🤣🤣.

Hopefully goes to plan.

Just need a temporary base to get off the mud 👍👍

Thanks heaps for your contributions mate

Have a great evening

Warm regards Rob 👍

Sambro
Growing in Experience

Thats a good idea, I'm in the same boat. buy a house with deposit and something left over, "nek minnit" its gone and theres still heaps of jobs left to do. Learning curve for me though. best regards

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects