Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our Puppy falling through?

Martin2020
Getting Established

How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our Puppy falling through?

How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our Puppy from falling through? the gap is about 5 inches. We are in a 12-floor building and have gaps between the floor and the Glass railings.

Balcony.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our Puppy falling through?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Martin2020. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I would be hesitant to recommend anything other than a permanent solution. This would most likely include a solid piece of 140 x 19mm KD Select Grade Merbau Decking - Linear Metre which is fixed in place with Buildex 8-18 x 30mm Climacoat Countersunk Ribbed Head Metal Tek Screws to the upright posts of the fencing. Anything less than a solid barrier similar to this I would be concerned in suggesting under these circumstances. 

You might be interested in viewing this discussion- How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our chihuahua by @bill1. Perhaps @bill1 could let us know if they ever found a solution that worked.

Let me also mention @JDE, @Stuardo, @redracer01 and @Brad to see if they had any suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Martin2020 

The first thing I thought of was Gutter Guard fixed into place with cable ties around the posts. There is black plastic or galvanised wire which you buy in a roll, see below. I used it around the bottom of my fence to stop the leaves from next door being blown under the gap into my place and it is very sturdy. 

Gutter Guard.jpg

Cheers,

Stuart

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Stuardo,

Any thoughts on fixing that gutter guard along the length of the gap? My only concern with just fixing it to the uprights is that the puppy could push its way underneath it mid-posts. That Saxon gutter guard is fairly flexible. The Whites 190mm x 10m Fire Guard Gutter Mesh might be slightly more rigid than the Saxon plastic variety, but I'd still be concerned they would get under it. From experience with my own dogs, they can be fairly persistent when trying to nuzzle under something to escape. Sometimes spending several hours trying to squeeze under fencing etc.

If it wasn't for the extremely large fall and the possibility of the puppy being left there to forge an escape plan, I'd think gutter guard would be a good solution.

Mitchell

Walzz
Building a Reputation

A strip of merbau decking would certainly provide a more secure barrier. I'd also give it a couple of coats of Weathershield paint to match the colour of the railing so it blends in and less noticeable to the eye.

Yeah Mitchell you are probably right with the gutter guard, it would need something more solid like timber.  

Stuart.

Thank you so much MitchellMc

I got these panels I have secured this balcony opening and our puppy and now go outside safely.

Hi @Martin2020,

I'm glad you have managed to secure the area for your puppy and many thanks for sharing your results.

If you would like, I trust our members searching for similar solutions would appreciate seeing the panels fixed in place. Would you mind sharing a picture?

Mitchell

3A733019-EDF9-447B-81C6-7D7D1625464C.jpeg

 hi Mitch, see above image. I used a combination of ideas here. Rather than screws, I used cables ties as there is small openings Between the glass and the metal frame. Tx 

@Martin2020,

Many thanks for sharing your solution, I trust our members will find it very helpful.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects