Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

Highlighted
New Contributor

How do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

lately a nightly occurrence, possum raids via my power line. have tried possum guards on gutters and an all night solar floodlight. i tried to contact ausgrid but they are too busy. Any better ideas?

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

Welcome to the Workshop community @guyfsb. I'd be happy to address your question.

Possums are agile creatures and will access your home through whatever means possible. Can I suggest purchasing several Whites 600mm Anti Bird Pest Control Spikes and fixing them around where the powerline meets the house?

Please be advised you are working near 240v electricity and any interference with it can be detrimental to your health.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: how do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

thank you...familiar items as I already have them on the guttering. I asked my electrician and he didnt sound too keen. reading online I wasnt sure is asugrid allowed items stuck to power lines? i remember a comment from ausgrid to suggest that i was even liable for any incident.

I am a bit confused

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: How do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

I would contact your electricity provider @guyfsb. I see possum discs on lines in our neighbourhood but have read that some companies don't allow them as they put strain on the equipment. 

I found this an interesting article - http://helpdata.github.io/possum-stop/ - but reckon you are wise to stick with professional assistance. You certainly wouldn't want to be messing with your electrical line.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects