Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I know what paint, to paint 3 Aluminium Doors in gloss cream?

Rud
Just Starting Out

How do I know what paint, to paint 3 Aluminium Doors in gloss cream?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I know what paint, to paint 3 Aluminium Doors in gloss cream?

Hi @Rud,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us. 

I'm sure our helpful members will be happy to share their paint recommendations with you. In a previous discussion on this topic, Workshop member @Darren said he used Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel.

You might also find the resources on the Bunnings website useful, such as the D.I.Y. Advice guide How to paint window frames and the article Transform your aluminium window frames from the Bunnings magazine. I will also attach some videos below.

Hope that's helpful to get you started.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I know what paint, to paint 3 Aluminium Doors in gloss cream?

Welcome to the Workshop Community @Rud, it's fantastic to have you on board. Many thanks for your question, I'll be happy to help with it.

May I please ask if it is a security door similar to this: Fixed Barrier Door, or is it a solid aluminium door like this one: Entrance Aluminium Door?

If it is a security door are you able to take the mesh off by removing the rubber spline? That will make the application of the following methods easier. If the mesh is solid metal and permanently fixed, we may need to discuss other options as it will be difficult to paint the back surface of the grill. A picture will help me identify the mesh type. Please let us know if you need a hand uploading a photo.

You will find it most efficient to complete your project by removing the door at the hinges. This will allow it to be laid flat giving the best finish and preventing additional work. This would also be a good time to remove the mesh from the door if possible.

For both of the two types of doors, my advice is to start with Selleys Sugar Soap and a stiff bristle scrubbing brush. You will need to clean all paintable services thoroughly, removing all traces of dirt and grime. Once the cleaning is completed, please rinse the sugar soap off the door with water and allow it to dry completely.

The application method will differ slightly between a security door and a solid door:

Security door-The most convenient application method would be to use Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint. It provides a convenient solution where no primer is required over pre-painted metal surfaces. Please make sure to tape off any surfaces which do not require painting (such as all rubber trim pieces) before application of the paint. 

Solid door- The most practical solution is to use a brushable product such as Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel. This product also has the same great qualities as the spray. On this larger area, you will achieve a superior finish using a good quality brush such as Monarch 75mm Walls Doors and Trims Paint Brush. Please make sure to tape off any areas which do not require painting (such as handles) before application of the paint.

We look forward to seeing your finished door and hearing about any other projects you have around your home.

If you require any additional information or assistance please don't hesitate to ask and many thanks for your question once again.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects