Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How best to install basic channel drainage?

jbs1
Growing in Experience

How best to install basic channel drainage?

Hi All, I've got a house with inexplicably no drainage down the high-side of the property, so that when it rains the water runs straight off the side-path pavers under the house (pier and beam setup), leading to a muddy river that runs through to the side path on the other side of the house.

I'm taking a temporary-fix approach and am going to install some basic channel gutters (https://www.bunnings.com.au/everhard-100mm-x-1m-black-easydrain-polymer-channel-and-grate_p4770206) and was just keen to get any tips or traps for new players that anyone might be keen to share - I don't have any experience in drainage, so even though it's a pretty basic task I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Cheers,

Jim

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How best to install basic channel drainage?

Hello @jbs1 

When planning your drainage I suggest the following.

1. Pen and paper! Make a rough sketch of your drain plan, even the most basic drain systems must be well thought out, as a miscalculated set up could ruin the whole run.

2. Think of it as a marble run, at no point should the marble stop from rolling in your plan. The channels must have the proper fall or the water will sit in the channel and not drain out.

3. Pits are used as a focal point for low lying areas in your run and you need to make a turn or divert to a storm water pipe.

4. Check for other sources of water runs, take it into consideration that when water gathers together they create a strong dribble that turns into a little stream that digs the earth and garden out and creates a natural channel.

5. Take your time don't rush and buy the whole set it's 90 percent planning 10 percent execution. 

6. Look carefully how the water currently drains out of your property from the pavers, look at the natural fall of the water and where they tend to gather and rush out. By designing and trying to work with the natural fall of the land rather than forcing it to bend to your will, it should make it easier for you to lay the channels and not have to dig so deep to achieve the fall. Work with nature not against it. ( Mr. Miyagi )

If you would like to make a true project out of it I suggest diy open spoon cement drains. Advantages are it is cement! It is very easy to clean and maintain. You can create amazing runs that meander around your property and create it as a feature rather than a necessity. It will never clog up, you can create a stop gap point to catch the run off soil and re-spread it in your garden. Well...it was just a thought. Easydrain is much easier to lay down, but I'm sure Mr. Miyagi would have gone for the more natural approach. Goodluck and have a safe diy adventure. 

Red

This is a standard spoon drain.This is a standard spoon drain.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Jim (@jbs1

Just wanted to extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's wonderful to see you join in the discussion and get such a swift and comprehensive answer from one of our hugely knowledgeable community members in @redracer01. I trust it proves very helpful for kicking off your drainage project, but please don't hesitate to post follow-up questions or hit the Start a discussion button anytime you have a new project around the house or garden. As you can see, we have an amazingly helpful group of people who are posting great advice and inspiring projects on the site every day. 

Looking forward to seeing the end results and your new drainage all installed. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jbs1
Growing in Experience

Thanks @redracer01 really appreciate that - I'm going to install the channels under the house so won't use the spoon drain this time around, but will certainly use those when I get to diverting water into the garden; I didn't know those existed, so thank you for the steer, and for all your other guidance!

Cheers,

Jim

jbs1
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Jason, appreciate the welcome!

Hi I can't find an open concrete spoon drain on the bunningss site.....  Please can you advise a part number

Thx

Louise

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Louise157. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he can provide some additional information about these spoon drains. We look forward to hearing about the projects around your home and garden and trust you'll find loads of inspiration for them from within the community. We encourage you to let us know any time you need assistance or have a project to share.

Mitchell

Hello @Louise157 

The spoon drains were a suggestion to jbs1 if he wanted an alternative to the regular easydrain systems from everhard. It is a 3rd party item and is not available at Bunnings. You mat have to search for it online. Apologies if I got your hopes up.

Sincerely,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Like to purchase the concrete spoon drain, does Bunnings stock them please

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lc2034. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

I see @redracer01 has mentioned above that the spoon drains he is referencing are not a Bunnings product. I've also checked with our suppliers and haven't had any luck. Hopefully, he can provide some advice on where you can obtain some from. 

We do have a wide selection of effective drainage solutions in our Everhard range. You might be interested in the Everhard EasyDRAIN Compact Polymer Grate & 1m Channel as it's a slimline version of the traditional channels and far less imposing.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects