Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Home made pot belly stove using road train brake hub

rscrocker
Finding My Feet

Home made pot belly stove using road train brake hub

I would like to know how to cut a road train brake hub and what welding rods to use to weld the brake hub

83E4227E-8AB4-4108-99EA-16A46CC06339.jpeg

the start of my pot belly heater, i also want to weld legs on my steel frame instead of bricks.the start of my pot belly heater, i also want to weld legs on my steel frame instead of bricks.

my ash tray catchermy ash tray catcher

exhaust pipe for chimneyexhaust pipe for chimneyhow long my exhaust pipe ishow long my exhaust pipe is

handles i want to weld on or drill holes and weld them in place for easy movinghandles i want to weld on or drill holes and weld them in place for easy moving

my mini one i also want to make, with handles and legsmy mini one i also want to make, with handles and legsup and running just how it sits in the picturesup and running just how it sits in the pictures

i would like to put a pipe on the bottom drum about 3/4 up it for air intake as i found that the ash and coles cloges up at the bottom and even with all the gaps i have at the bottom for air intake it still sufficates the 🔥. and would like any other ideas or advice thanks heaps 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: home made pot belly stove using road train brake hub

Fairly sure they are cast iron.
Cuts with diamond and carbide blades fairly well, cut off wheels work too and hss blades will cut it but they wear out fairly fast.
Nickle rods are best for welding cast iron, normal steel welding rods will give a hard brittle weld due to the carbon content.
You will find you get dirtier cutting and grinding cast iron than mild steel because of the carbon.

can you drill it with a normal drill bit or do you need a special one 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Normal will do it unless you hit a hard spot that can break the bit, I would go easy on the pressure and don't let it overheat. The bits with the new coatings may be an advantage.

Re: Home made pot belly stove using road train brake hub

Hi @rscrocker,

Welcome to Workshop. Great to see you join in the discussions and get some prompt assistance from Brad. We are looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

I noticed you had posted in multiple places across the site so have consolidated your photos into this one discussion. Please avoid posting in multiple places as it makes it less likely you will get multiple responses and makes it harder for other community members to find what they are looking for.  

Thanks again for joining us, and please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bergs
Making a Splash

Re: Home made pot belly stove using road train brake hub

Hi @rscrocker 

I would be very surprised if truck hubs were made of cast iron. 

I seem to remember the old cast iron stoves and if they received a hard knock they had a tendency to crack.

I'm sure you will work it out.

I'm trying to work out a pot belly of some kind in my shed, so I will be interested in knowing how you get on with your project.

Good luck bergs

Be happy and care for your tools

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects