Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front garden

GracieB01
Finding My Feet

Front garden

Hi, I would like to redo my front garden with tropical look.  I live in Palmerston NT and hate the front garden but am unsure of what to plant here.  It gets the afternoon sun so need pretty hardy plants. It looks pretty shabby at the mo.  I have cut some plants right back and am going to pull them out.  Cheers, Carol

some BromeliIMG_7327.JPGIMG_7329.JPGIMG_7331.JPGIMG_7333.JPGIMG_7334.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Front garden

Hi @GracieB01,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust that our clever and creative members can provide plenty of helpful information and inspiration for this project and many others to come in the future. Feel free to post whenever you need assistance or have something new to share. 

Let me tag some of our resident green thumbs in @Noelle@robchin and @greygardener who might like to kick off the discussion about tropical plants that would suit your conditions in the Northern Territory. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Gracie

There are lots of plants that will do well in your front garden in Darwin - all those tropical beauties that gardeners in cooler climates envy! There's also a terrific amount of local information available to assist you.

For example, have a look at the Living Water Smart Darwin Region website. This links to a page "Select the right plants for your garden' and includes two lists that you can download - one for Australian plants and one for exotics.  Each list includes a selection of trees, shrubs and ground covers that will thrive in your climate and soil type.

The NT Government also has a handy booklet 'Creating Habitat for Darwin Gardens' which lists a range of interesting plants that may catch your eye.

Garden retailers are also great sources of information and offer you the opportunity to look at plants before you buy.  Check out your local Bunnings in Palmerston and also Allora Garden Centre (Sturt Highway, Berrimah).

Thank you I will check them out.

Thank you. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects