Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flooring for Horse Stables

rexster
Finding My Feet

Flooring for Horse Stables

I am in the final stages of building a barn and stables for my horses.  I was wondering if anyone has ideas for what the floor should be.  i want it to be easy under foot and easy to clean.

Shane
Having an Impact

Re: Flooring for Horse Stables

I would get expert advice @rexster. From this article - http://www.equisearch.com/article/stallflooring_120507 - drainage is crucial. No matter how nice the bedding, a poorly constructed floor can lead to respiratory troubles from ammonia gases, thrush from trapped moisture, achy joints from uneven or too-hard surfaces, and injury from slippery or abrasive materials. In addition, a poor floor can mean wasted bedding and extra labor for you. Good luck with finishing it off. 

John1
Having an Impact

Loved horse riding when young through the sand dunes at Skye Victoria and also at Cooma Victoria. Never owned one of my own but had one given to us. Had the horse shod and the original owner allowed us to leave it at her place. Went to see Red one day about a week later and it was gone. She gave it away.

The ones I have ridden were always kept on an earth floor covered in hay. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Nicer answer from a horse person.

If I opened up my old text books I am sure it would say sloping concrete to a grated drain. Straw wouldn't get a mention.

I do have a friend that has used rubber for a horse that didn't do well on straw, I could ask her what she used.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@rexster

I've got a mate that owns 3 horses and when he built his american style barn, he built up a sand pad about 1 metre above ground level, limestone base, then another 2 foot of clean sand on top.  He also installed spoon drains around the barn for drainage as moisture is not good.  A good hay base was swapped out regularly.  All I know is that the barn was always dry.

John1
Having an Impact

Ok concrete is used in many stables as it is easier to wash down.

The hay also acts as a bed if you have a look at any professional horse stable, hay is always used so the horse can roll about without hurting itself.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects