Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing onto Fibre cement external cladding

rexilla99
Growing in Experience

Fixing onto Fibre cement external cladding

Brabantia Wallfix Rotary Fold Away 24M Clothes Line.pngHi All,

I have external fibre cement cladding that is already fixed onto studs of the house.

I am about to install a Brabantia Wall fix foldable clothesline. The clothesline bracket required 4 x bolts which I know I can get 2 x bolts on the left-hand top and bottom into a stud. The other 2 bolts which is the righthand side will be fixed to the cladding with no stud behind. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a toggle type bolt or even stainless or galvanised so it doesn't rust.

See youtube video of mounting instructions to give an idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX__8Pwfdgs

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fixing onto Fibre cement external cladding

Hi @rexilla99,

Let me tag @Brad for you to see if he might like to kick off the discussion and share how we would tackle this project. 

Otherwise @MitchellMc will be happy to help when he is back online tomorrow morning. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing onto Fibre cement external cladding

Hi @rexilla99,

If you wish to use toggles then the  Ramset 3-16 x 50mm Round Head Gravity Toggles 4 Pack would be suitable. You should add a small washer to increase the screws head size as it is smaller than the current bolt head size.

You might like to have a look at hanging a wall mount clothesline, as we discuss some issues around toggles in this application. Since you are able to get at least two bolts into a stud, you might wish to go with the toggles for the other two. Another option would be to mount a piece of timber to the stud with several screws and toggles to stabilise it. You could then mount the clothesline to the timber.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects