Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Finding the right Bricks

Fuzzoffury
Finding My Feet

Finding the right Bricks

Hi I am  new to workshop and need help finding a small to medium qualities of standard size bricks with the three holes in them. I will be using them to hold lengths in position while weaving together a bamboo composting tower that would eventually grow groundcovers in a vertical position (if it works of course)

Does anyone know where these bricks are sold or made? They were not stocked at my closest Bunnings 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Finding the right Bricks

Hi @Fuzzoffury,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. I trust you'll get lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our community members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with anything or have something to share. 

Could you please let us know where you are based? It might help members provide more specific advice. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

The more important thing is the size  and positioning of the holes.

Effectively threading sizable bamboo through the holes at each end of each brick of two layers also allows flexibility while keeping the bamboo evenly spaced for smaller pieces to be woven between the uprights,  the bricks are used temporarily and the woven bamboo to be the permanent method of holding it together. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Could you drill holes in a block of wood to do the same thing?

In some respects yes but this is a slow process and the wood would rot away before the bamboo is woven into structural strength
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Fuzzoffury

Maybe try Gumtree or eBay. Someone might have some used bricks they are keen to get rid of.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects