Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fiberglass or Concrete pool?

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Fiberglass or Concrete pool?

Pool.jpg

The Mrs and I have seen a fiberglass selfcleaning pool and it seems a ripper.

These jets pop out the bottom and move all the water and leaves around.

Some mates think they are cheap looking compared to concrete but it seems they have improved a lot.

We were thinking we would rather save a bit of cash and put it into landscaper, glass fencing &, paving.

What do you reckon?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Fiberglass or Concrete pool?

Pool trends for 2019 - https://www.domain.com.au/living/pool-trends-2019-792279/

Timber look is interesting...

MJ76
Getting Established

Hi, question for Jesus...my parents had an 11m fibreglass pool installed by a pretty dodgy company. Was slightly crooked, a bubble surfaced in the middle underneath which has gotten bigger over the years but the worst part...the installer manipulated my very shy mum into going off agreed plan and leaving it raised 20cm above ground level for a “ledge to stop the dirt etc blowing in from the paddock”. All it does is makes for really difficult extra steps getting in and out for the elderly and injured with bad knees. Is a fibreglass pool able to be emptied, cut down a little to remove ledge, maybe put that overflow guttering like public pools have and possibly even a ramp put in? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's always sad to hear of disreputable installers @MJ76. They give the industry a bad name. I would recommend you talk to some reputable pool installers about your problems and see what they suggest. If you'd like to let us know where your parents are located, perhaps some Workshop members might be able to make some recommendations for you. I suspect all options would be unfortunately very expensive.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We hope you get lots of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects from our community members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand, and please let me know if you ever have any feedback about how we might improve Workshop for you.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Yeah, nah, the fibreglass couldn't be cut down @MJ76. They have a lip around the top that you wouldn't want to lose, are incredibly tough (with steel reinforcement) to ensure they can handle the force of all that water pushing outwards, and of course are concreted in. Then there's the not-small matter of the plumbing, skimmer box, etc. 

fibreglass-pool-cross-section-diagram.jpg

Perhaps a custom ladder is the answer? Eg https://aquafirst.com.au/swimming-pool-ladders/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-_bl-u54AIVUA4rCh3r4gn0EAAYASAAEg...

MJ76
Getting Established

Thanks @MartyH. May have to stick to my other idea of raising a deck around it one day. Thanks again. Mel 🙂

MJ76
Getting Established

Thanks Jason. Parents are at Black Hill NSW.

I’ve only just found your site, I’m really enjoying going through it and seeing everyone’s projects. One day when I get organised I look forward to playing with my tools and making full use of the info on here!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

There's certainly a lot of inspirational projects on the site from our clever and creative members Mel (@MJ76). Great to have you onboard. 

Looking forward to seeing you put those tools to good use!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@MJ76

The NSW Government is about to " Shake up high rise laws after opal tower saga " with new Legislation Requiring all Participants to have the necessary Registration & Qualifications from those drafting a design to building

That is a good reason why Battlers & Punters Should check their projects for Code Compliance and Engineering

It is estimated that over 60% of new buildings/homes are non compliant in varying degrees

Some how I doubt (new Legislation) it will extend as far as single  residential homes and pools

Homebuilders need to be proactive before, during & after their Build/Projects

OT, Here's a tip from an engineer that does Structural repairs I often tell clients "Theres no use complaining after the event, building consummer protection laws are very lax..Buyer Beware"

If you have a faulty tool, car,etc you can take it back to the manufacturers not so if your home is defective.

Goodluck

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Shipping container pools are potentially cheaper than both fibreglass and concrete, especially if you have a tricky block to work with. Interesting article here - https://www.domain.com.au/living/shipping-container-pools-804142/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects