Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fiberglass or Concrete pool?

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Fiberglass or Concrete pool?

Pool.jpg

The Mrs and I have seen a fiberglass selfcleaning pool and it seems a ripper.

These jets pop out the bottom and move all the water and leaves around.

Some mates think they are cheap looking compared to concrete but it seems they have improved a lot.

We were thinking we would rather save a bit of cash and put it into landscaper, glass fencing &, paving.

What do you reckon?

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Fiberglass or Concrete pool?

We’re going with a fibreglass pool. We’ve had three friends all install fibreglass pools in the past few years and are happy. They look great. Don’t worry about what other people think. Just get the pool that suits your needs and location. And of course your budget. We ended up tossing up between Compass and Leisure Pools. Both seemed great and came recommended. We ended up with Leisure because the builder was fantastic and they had a shape that really suited the spot.

Be a little wary of the self-cleaning systems. I’m sure they are fantastic time savers but add a fair bit to the cost of the pool. In comparison, robot cleaners are really cheap and effective. If something goes wrong on the self-cleaning system, it could be expensive and difficult to fix. With a robot, you just chuck it out and get another one.  

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I had to make this decision recently and went with fibreglass. The only reason I would've gone concrete is for a custom design, otherwise there's really no advantage in my opinion.

I got the shape I wanted, a great colour, simple install and a great price. I found there's more room to hustle a better price with fibreglass because there's less labour involved.

Would bother with self cleaning unless your pool is huge and is likely to get more dirty than you can handle. Self cleaning is added (usually unnecessary) cost upfront and creates another thing that can go wrong with your pool in future, which more costs again.

Personally I'd be putting the money into paving, landscaping, features, furniture, et.

Hope this helps
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's our fibreglass pool going in last week. Hoping that we might get a swim or two in before the winter!

Jason

PoolInstallation.JPG

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
John1
Having an Impact

I have or should I say was in the Fibreglass industry for 45 years and my nickname was Jesus [no not that one] as my knowledge is quite considerable and they say that if I did not know the solution to a problem there probably wasn't one and if by some small chance mine did fail they would crucify me. Really it comes down to if I don't know then I usually know someone who does.

Concrete or Fibreglass. I have over the years heard this maybe a thousand times and my answer is this. Get the design and price that suits you best if its concrete fine and same with fibreglass.

If the concrete one does develop minute cracks after a few years in the ground don't worry have it skinned with fibreglass. No more cracks etc. and a new fibreglass pool in the design you always loved. If it's done properly it will last you many many years to come.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's our pool 18 months later. No complaints on the choice we made. 

Jason

FibreglassPool.jpg

Lookin good mate - been amazing getting back in with the warmer weather.

Can hardly wait for the new pool - going for a customer concrete design :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

This week has been very warm in Melbourne @ProjectPete. Been swimming every night and most mornings. 

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your custom design. 

Hope all is well,

Jason

i just wanted to add some info regarding the self cleaning pool (compass). we have a 27k litre pool fibreglass with the infloor cleaner and are verv happy with it.
the fibreglass suited our needs
no connecting up a robot in bad weather and no emergency cleaning at the last minute. I find it fantastic.runs during the day off the solar.
I have the cartridge filter, don't know how this compares with a sand filter, regarding landscaping, tried plants but they died (wanted something with minimal shedding, we have plastic plants which are fantastic, we haven't killed them yet.we also have the heater which extends our season.

as mentioned by others each to their own regarding their needs, but like everything it is not always easy to decide, good hunting

Steve

Many thanks for sharing your experience @stewiesnr. I'm sure other members will find your post helpful. Feel free to post whenever you have something new to share or need a hand.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects